Search for content in message boards

Residence or Address?

Residence or Address?

Posted: 9 Sep 2013 10:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm wonder which fact people use to record an ancestor's address - some books say that the address fact is for living relatives, but is there a general consensus as to which is best (apart from it doesn't matter so long as it's consistent!)

Re: Residence or Address?

Posted: 9 Sep 2013 11:17PM GMT
I use "Residence" as a general location as in the Census'. Address is for the specific address, Number - Street, City, State.

Regards,

Posted: 9 Sep 2013 11:57PM GMT
Edited: 10 Sep 2013 12:03AM GMT
I think being consistent is the main thing.

Current addresses in FTM can't lead to mail labels, as FTM doesn't have a mail label report. It's probably easier to maintain a mail label file for currently alive folks in mail label software. Although you can export names with street addresses into Excel via a Custom Report and then port to a mail label software.

I generally follow the practice of putting places known by governmental heirarchy as Residence; whereas 1860-1870 US census entries for Post Office and "old" street addresses from sources like censuses and other records I put in the address fact.

One reason I use government heirarchy for the Residence is so that I can see everyone who lived, born, buried in that town in the Places Workplace in the right panel.

You could accomplish the same thing by putting using the Residence Fact twice; once for the govt heirarchy and once for the street address. Most of my Address Facts have an accompanying entry with a Residence Fact. (eg death record gives street address of last residence. I put it in Address and the govt heirarchy in the Residence fact, both with the date of death.

Posted: 10 Sep 2013 2:20AM GMT
Depends if you care about compatibility with other software. Address is NOT always compatible with other software, residence is compatable.

Therefore I never use address.

Posted: 10 Sep 2013 11:31AM GMT
Thanks all for your excellent advise. 'Residence' does seem to be the convention because as kj_norway says, 'address' is not always compatible.

Posted: 10 Sep 2013 1:25PM GMT
I use Census for the head of household and residence for all others. I use address if I have no documentation to support the fact (i.e. I know they lived there). This makes it easier for me to keep the information sorted out for family group sheets.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions