With a number of new inquiries popping up on the family of Martin in the last few weeks, rather than trying to make a response to each one individually I thought I would post this new thread.
While Tibbets is not one of my direct lines, I have been trying to piece the family together in hopes of finding out more on Martin last wife, Eliza Jane.
Now this comes with the caveat that most of this is speculation meant to give folks some ideas of possible avenues of research.
That said I will start with what I do know:
Descendants of Martin Van Buren Tibbetts
Generation No. 1
1. MARTIN VAN BUREN2 TIBBETTS (FATHER1) was born November 27, 1841 in Missouri or Indiana or Arkansas, and died March 07, 1918 in Bentley, Conway Co., Arkansas. He married (1) MARGARET JOHNSON February 11, 1860 in Cooke Co., Texas. She was born Abt. 1843 in Arkansas, and died Bef. 1872. He married (2) HARRIETT M UNKNOWN Bet. 1868 - 1869. She was born Abt. 1839 in Arkansas. He married (3) UNKNOWN Bet. 1871 - 1872. She was born in Tennessee. He married (4) ELIZABETH JANE BASKET Abt. 1879 She died April 16, 1930 in Hope, Stephens Co., Oklahoma.
Notes for MARTIN VAN BUREN TIBBETTS:
Confederate Indigent Families Lists (1863-1865)
Denton Co.: M V Tibbets
More About MARTIN VAN BUREN TIBBETTS:
Name 2: Martin V Thibbett
Census 1: 1860, Cooke Co., Texas
Census 2: 1870, Rose Creek, Perry Co., Arkansas
Census 3: 1880, Lamar Co., Texas
Census 4: 1900, Seminole Nation, IT
Census 5: 1907, Wolf, Seminole Co., OK
Census 6: 1910, Quinton, Pittsburg Co., OK
Military service: Abt. 1862, Co. K, 22nd Texas Cav. CSA
Child of MARTIN TIBBETTS and MARGARET JOHNSON is:
2. i. INMAN A3 TIBBETTS, b. Abt. 1868, Arkansas.
Child of MARTIN TIBBETTS and HARRIETT UNKNOWN is:
ii. JAMES M3 TIBBETTS, b. Abt. 1869.
Child of MARTIN TIBBETTS and UNKNOWN is:
iii. S W3 TIBBETTS, b. Abt. 1872, Arkansas.
Children of MARTIN TIBBETTS and ELIZABETH BASKET are:
iv. LOU3 TIBBETTS, b. Abt. 1879.
3. v. HENRY FRANKLIN TIBBETTS, b. August 16, 1880, Texas.
4. vi. ISAAC ALFORD TIBBETTS, b. September 04, 1883, Texas.
5. vii. LUCINDA TIBBETTS, b. December 1884, Texas.
viii. SILAS D TIBBETTS, b. February 26, 1888, Chickasaw, IT; d. December 31, 1974, Mendocino, CA.
ix. ALEXANDER TIBBETTS, b. Abt. 1891, Chickasaw, IT.
6. x. CLEVELAND TIBBETTS, b. August 29, 1892, Earlsboro, Oklahoma; d. February 11, 1965, Fresno, CA.
xi. NANCY ANN TIBBETTS, b. May 1896.
Generation No. 2
2. INMAN A3 TIBBETTS (MARTIN VAN BUREN2, FATHER1) was born Abt. 1868 in Arkansas. He married PERNISSIA Abt. 1899. She was born Abt. 1880 in Mississippi.
Children of INMAN TIBBETTS and PERNISSIA are:
i. HOUSTON L4 TIBBETTS, b. May 25, 1904; d. February 1979, Oklahoma City, OK.
ii. PARALEE TIBBETTS, b. Abt. 1906.
3. HENRY FRANKLIN3 TIBBETTS (MARTIN VAN BUREN2, FATHER1) was born August 16, 1880 in Texas. He married ELLA. She was born Abt. 1885.
Children of HENRY TIBBETTS and ELLA are:
i. FRANCIS4 TIBBETTS, b. Abt. 1906.
ii. ROY TIBBETTS, b. Abt. 1908.
iii. PETER EDGAR TIBBETTS, b. Abt. 1913.
iv. GRADY TIBBETTS, b. Abt. 1914.
v. RAYMOND TIBBETTS, b. Abt. 1918.
vi. EARNEST E TIBBETTS, b. January 27, 1920; d. December 19, 1959, Marlow, Stephens Co., OK.
vii. GOLDIE TIBBETTS, b. Abt. 1922.
4. ISAAC ALFORD3 TIBBETTS (MARTIN VAN BUREN2, FATHER1) was born September 04, 1883 in Texas. He married EMMA THOMAS. She was born Abt. 1887.
Children of ISAAC TIBBETTS and EMMA THOMAS are:
i. IDA4 TIBBETTS, b. Abt. 1904; m. UNKNOWN MORGAN.
ii. CLIFFORD TIBBETTS, b. Abt. 1907; d. Bef. 1920.
iii. LOIS TIBBETTS, b. May 22, 1910, Brooken, OK; d. February 25, 2007, McAlester, OK; m. LEWIS N SARGENT, June 04, 1930, Wewoka, OK.
iv. ALBERT TIBBETTS, b. Abt. 1915.
v. THEARL S TIBBETTS, b. January 16, 1917; d. July 04, 1989, Gila Bend, Maricopa Co., AZ.
vi. EDWARD TIBBETTS.
5. LUCINDA3 TIBBETTS (MARTIN VAN BUREN2, FATHER1) was born December 1884 in Texas. She married WILLIAM H HALL Abt. 1902. He was born Abt. 1872.
Children of LUCINDA TIBBETTS and WILLIAM HALL are:
i. VIRGIL L4 HALL, b. Abt. 1904.
ii. ELLA E HALL, b. Abt. 1906.
6. CLEVELAND3 TIBBETTS (MARTIN VAN BUREN2, FATHER1) was born August 29, 1892 in Earlsboro, Oklahoma, and died February 11, 1965 in Fresno, CA. He married LORAINE POWELL Abt. 1921. She was born Abt. 1905.
Children of CLEVELAND TIBBETTS and LORAINE POWELL are:
i. ELZA EDWARD4 TIBBETTS, b. July 05, 1921; d. March 11, 1986, Marin Co., CA.
ii. MILDRED TIBBETTS, b. Abt. 1925.
iii. ANDY TIBBETTS, b. Abt. 1928.
Now Inman and James may actually be the children of the same mother, the only reason I have them seperated is due to their answers on later census as to birth place of mother. But we do know that Martin was married 4 times according to the 1910 Census, thus the seperation.
Now as to Martin's parents and siblings:
We do of at least one brother S A who was living with Martin in 1880, age 20. Now it is my belief that S A may very well be the same as Silas Andrew Tibbet who appears as S A Tibbet in the 1900 Census in Travis Co Texas with wife Genova. By 1910 they were divorced and her and the children were living in Haskell Co., Tx. I can't find him anywhere in 1910, but he does reappear in 1920 in Palo Pinto Co., Texas as S A Tibbet and again in 1930 as Silas Tibbet. It is in Palo Pinto county where he passes away in 1939.
Now even more speculation:
In 1880 we find Martin in Lamar Co. Texas. And we know his family was living in Denton Co. during the war. In that same vicinity we find the following Tibbits:
Eli b abt 1829 Ohio
S W b abt 1835 Ohio
John b abt 1837 Indiana
and Andrew b abt 1807 Maine (or Mass. which in 1807 would be one and the same). Now with so many Tibbet(t)s clustered so close together it can very well be that they are all related. So I started backtracking Andrew to see if I could find either and S A with Andrew in 1870 or Martin in 1850. But here's where the trail starts getting tricky. I can find Andrew in 1860 in Pilot Point, Denton Co., Texas, but S A is not in the household, but then that would be logical if Silas Andrew wasn't born until Dec of 1860. So I started looking for Andrew in 1870. No joy. He doen't appear anywhere that I can find in Texas, Arkansas, or Missouri. He just disappears. Of course if I was a Maine born Yankee in this area of Texas just after the Civil War I would be hard to find too. Denton and Lamar Counties were highly volatile places during this time. He could very well be across the Red River in the IT. So I backtracked to 1850. Now we come across a most unusual family living in Newton Co. Arkansas
We have an Andrew Tibbetts born about 1805 in Maine with the following Children
Eliza (f) b abt 1829 Ohio
Pricilla (f) b abt 1831 Ohio
Summinitta? (f) b abt 1833 Ohio
Sylvester W (f) b abt 1836 Ohio
John (m) b abt 1837 Indiana
William (m) b abt 1839 Indiana
Martha (f) b abt 1840 Missouri
Mary Ann (f) b abt 1842 Missouri
Caroline (f) b abt 1847 Arkansas
another Eliza (f) abt 1849 Arkansas
2 daughters both named Eliza?
So I started thinking, What if the Census taker was a little sloppy transcribing his field notes in 1850? What if there weren't 2 Eliza's in the same family? What if the oldest Eliza was Eli (m) Sylvester W was (m) and Martha was Martin (m)?
If that was the case the pieces would all start to fit together.
I'll let you folks decide if this is an avenue you want to explore.