Search for content in message boards

DAVID AND RACHEL BENNETT ALKIRE and Some Descendants

Replies: 3

DAVID AND RACHEL BENNETT ALKIRE and Some Descendants

Posted: 2 Mar 1999 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 2 Mar 2005 2:44PM GMT
Surnames: Alkire, Brown, Carter
According to his death record in Braxton Co., WV David Alkire was born in Harrison Co., WV the son of John and Christina Alkire. His mother's maiden name is unknown. David died on 22 Dec 1866 aged 78 years and 5 months. I haven't located a marriage record for he and his wife Rachel
S. Bennett although I did find a note of consent dated 4 June 1812 in the Harrison Co., WV courthouse. This was written and signed by William and Rebecca McCauley Bennett saying they agree to let their daughter Rachel marry David Alkire and the court is permitted to give him the
license to do so. It is believed they moved to what's now know as Braxton Co. but then Harrison Co., VA about the year 1814. I have not looked for a deed at this time. In his will recorded in Braxton Co. he left 20 acres of his real estate to his son Joseph and the remainder of
his estate was divided equally between his wife Rachel and daughter Permelia Mollohan. His property, real and personal was then to go to his youngest son David M Alkire. One dollar was left to each of his other children whom he did not name. Rachel S. Alkire died 15 Jan 1885 aged 89
years 10 months 11 days. Both she and David are buried in the Amos Cemetery located above RT 24 which is on the way from the old Falls Mill site in Braxton Co. towards Duffy in Lewis Co., WV.

The book CARTER, ALKIRE, KENNEDY and RELATED FAMILIES compiled by Judge James M. Carter and published 1976 by Satellite Office Services, Inc. of San Diego gives the names of David and Rachel's children and spouses:
(1)Jennison- who died comparatively young with no issue;
his twin
(2)Alcinda S-John Cunningham. Alcinda died 18 Nov 1897 at age 80 y 6 m 11 d and John died 11 Feb 1887;
(3) Permelia Storts- 1stGeorge D. Mollohan 2nd Edward S. Brag;
(4)Rebecca- Allen S. Berry;
(5)"Betty"-Jacob Conrad;
(6)John- "Betsy" Miller;
(7)Eveline-William Berry;
(8)Agnes- 1st "Buck" Clark and 2nd Tom Dennison;
(9)William- "Betsy" Cunningham;
(10)Joseph- Susan Snyder;
(11)David M- Nancy Wilson and
(12)James who was killed in the Civil War.
John Cunningham and Alcinda S. Alkire were married 13 Sept 1834 in Lewis Co., WV. He was born 25 Feb 1810 the son of John and Francis Bland Cunningham. They settled in Braxton County and are buried in a private cemetery on or near their home-place. Dorothy J. King names the
following children for John and Alcinda:
(1)Louisa Stephenson - William
Lewis Kelley ;
(2)Rebecca- ? ;
(3)Sophia- John M Marple;
(4)Jennison - Mary C. Myers;
(5)Abel- Amanda Stallnaker;
(6)Margaret;
(7)Permelia S-Melville Lowther;
(8)Leonidas- Annabell McNeamer; and
(9)Rachel.
William Lewis Kelley and Louisa Stephenson Cunningham were married 2 June 1857 in Braxton Co., WV. Lewis, as he was called, was born 30 Sept 1837 the son of David and Jane Davis Kelley who came from Pendleton Co., VA. He died in 1919. Louisa was born on 10 June 1837 in Braxton Co. and
died 09 Oct 1895 at Duffy, Lewis Co., WV. They are buried at the Green Hill Church cemetery in Braxton, Co., WV. Their daughter Laura Susan Kelly was my ancestor. She was born 09 Mar 1859 and died 17 Nov 1914 in Braxton Co., WV. On 04 May 1817 Laura married Albert Lewis Helmick who
was born 04 July 1855 in Lewis Co., WV the son of Ira and Christina Wimer Helmick. Ira Helmick was the son of John and Mary Ann HackerHelmick of Lewis Co., WV.
Ada Chloe, daughter of Albert and Laura Kelley Helmick was born in Braxton Co on 04 Aug 1888 and died 16 Oct 1983 in Cambridge, Guernsey Co., OH. On 29 Mar 1911 she married Okey Thomas Brown, the son of John H and Martha Jane Prince Brown. He was born 27 Aug 1887 and died 26 Apr 1971 near Cambridge, Oh, Guernsey Co., OH. They are buried at Memorial
Gardens Cemetery in Guernsey Co., OH.
Their daughter Garnett Irene Brown was born 02 Feb 1912 near Hettie Braxton Co., WV and married 13 Aug 1937 in Lewis Co., WV to Roy William Carter. He was born 05 Nov 1899 near Knawles Creek in Braxton Co., WV the son of David M and Rachel Warner Carter. David Carter is a grandson
of Joseph and Susanna Coburn Alkire of Alkires Mill, Lewis Co., WV.
Joseph was a brother to David Alkire above. Garnett and Roy are my parents. My father retired from General Motors at Berea, OH. He passed away at home near Cambridge, OH on 04 Nov 1973 and is buried at the Center Cemetery located close to my mother's home. Mom is a graduate of Muskingum College at New Concord, OH and is a retired elementary school
teacher. Dad had four children by previous marriages that grew to adulthood. They were Bernice; Grey; Odest; and Fenton. Dad has two stepchildren who are "Joe" Forinash and Shelva Skinner at Ireland, Lewis Co., WV. He and Mom had five of us: David; Mary; Martha; Lois and
Dorothy.

-Compiled by; Mary Carter Scott, 61783 Westland St Cambridge,
OH 43725-9443
mrscott@cambridgeoh.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
MaryRScott22 2 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT 
MaryRScott22 21 Oct 2005 12:22AM GMT 
pjz31 9 Jul 2006 2:31AM GMT 
Mary Scott 22 Jul 2006 3:00PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions