Search for content in message boards

John Grant/1870 US Census/Herkimer County, NY

Replies: 1

John Grant/1870 US Census/Herkimer County, NY

Posted: 27 Oct 2003 3:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Nov 2003 1:51PM GMT
Surnames: Grant/Newell/Post (possibly)
Please contact me at TGross1092@aol.com. The above address at gorec is incorrect.

John Grant, age 43, lived in German Flats Township, Herkimer County according to the 1870 US Census. John lived there with an Edgar Grant, 18, who was listed as being born in Connecticut. John is listed as being born in New York.

Both were working in the Armory.
Edgar and John might be Grants related to families with Newell or Post relations or families in Catskill area of Greene County.

My Edgar was supposed to be from the Catskill, Greene County area of New York. According to the 1930 Census that just came out Edgar was first married in 1872 about the age of 22.

At the age of 54, in NYC, he is listed as the father on the birth certificate of a Virginia Mary Grant, mother was Mary McGuinness. However he indicated his age was only 40 on the birth certificate. Mary an Irish immigrant from New York died of TB inm 1909. She was only 27 in 1909, when Edgar would have been 59. A marriage certificate for Mary and Edgar has never been found. Edgar married Anna Rohe, supposedly the German Housekeeper, in 1909 less than 6 months after Mary died. She raised Virginia Mary as her child, and even renamed her. Mary McGuinness was living in a tenement in NYC when she died in 1909. I cannot tell if Edgar still lived with her when she died, no one else is listed as living with her. It may have been some type of quaranteened area. The child's name, Virginia Mary Grant, was changed to Julia Grant by Anna Rohe.

By 1910 Edgar was living and lived the rest of his life in Riveredge New Jersey. He never visited family. No one ever came to the home from his side of the family. He was a very successful man.

When he died he left a significant amount of money for the time to a Edgar Newell Post and his sister Sarah Post in Greene County New York. We have their burial sites. But I don't have access at this moment to that information. They died unmarried and I don't know/have more information on them at this time. They may have been his children from the first marriage or nieces and nephews.

If you have any connection or thoughts anything would be appreciated.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Tracie Jones 27 Oct 2003 10:50PM GMT 
LJacobLJacob 20 Apr 2005 4:09AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic