Search for content in message boards

Henry Duggan/Dugan in Scranton, PA, and Philadelphia, PA

Replies: 5

Henry Duggan/Dugan in Scranton, PA, and Philadelphia, PA

Posted: 17 Jul 2005 10:03AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dugan, Duggan, Nolan, Burke, Beckett, Madden
I am looking to flesh out records and information for Duggan/Dugan family members living in Scranton, PA, in the late 19th century and in Philadelphia in the early 20th century. Sometimes the spelling of the name is given as Dugan and sometimes as Duggan. My family tends to use the Duggan spelling, though it appears not all of our relatives shared that tendency.

Henry Duggan, a mason, was born in Ireland in 1828 and, according to his naturalization papers, arrived in New York in January 1864. He settled in Scranton, PA, where he died on July 3, 1900. He was survived by his widow, Anna Devitt Duggan.

His obituary indicates that he had a sister, Katherine Burke, who lived in Dunmore, and several children, including Katie and Nettie Duggan, Agnes Duggan Beckett, and Mrs. John Nolan (Sarah/Sadie Duggan Nolan, from what I can tell). It appears that another daughter, Marie, died during the late 19th century, though I have only found her in one record, the 1880 census.

The obituary also indicates that he had a son, Bernard, living in Philadelphia in 1900. However, the 1880 census lists the son's name as Henry. Subsequent searches of directories and census records turned up a Henry Dugan of the right age (39) in the 1910 Philadelphia Census. It's unclear as to whether this is the right man. This Henry has a wife named Elizabeth and a brood of children.

As for Henry Duggan Sr.'s sister, Katherine Burke, she lived until 1912 and is buried in Dunmore. Records I've consulted suggest her parents were Bernard Duggan and Brigid Madden, though again I'm unsure as to the accuracy. I've also heard Katherine was born in Ballycastle, County Mayo, but I cannot verify that either. Scranton was full of County Mayo immigrants, though, from what I've read.

Any further information would be much appreciated.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
CBHagman 17 Jul 2005 4:03PM GMT 
chefdugan 2 Jun 2012 12:46PM GMT 
CBHagman 2 Jun 2012 12:59PM GMT 
chefdugan 3 Jun 2012 2:17PM GMT 
CBHagman 3 Jun 2012 6:10PM GMT 
chefdugan 3 Jun 2012 10:22PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions