Search for content in message boards

"Home of the Good Samaritan" on Winnsboro Rd.

Replies: 2

"Home of the Good Samaritan" on Winnsboro Rd.

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 9:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Downs
I am looking for information (or even photos) of a place called The Home of the Good Samaritan that was located on Winnsboro Rd/Hwy 15 in Monroe.

From what I can tell it was a farm that was some sort of a halfway house. My great-great-great grandfather, Rev. James Robert Downs, is listed as the head of the house in 1940, a woman is listed as a "motrow", and the other thirteen residents are inmates (some appear to be children)

http://interactive.ancestry.com/2442/m-t0627-01437-00356/123...#

James' obituary says:

"...He took over the management of the Home of the Good Samaritan at Monroe, Louisiana, in October, 1917, when it was about to be closed for lack of funds. This institution was continued in its work of mercy and redemption, almost entirely through the sacrificial labors of Bro. Downs, until after the Uniting Conference, when its work was merged with that of Memorial Mercy Home at New Orleans. ..."

"...Our brother departed this life on Sunday, June 29, 1952, at the old building on the Winnsboro Road, Monroe, Louisiana, where for so many years he had conducted the Home of the Good Samaritan. This building had been made available to him when the work was discontinued, and despite the pleas of his children that he live with them or permit them to care for him in his own little cottage in West Monroe, he insisted that he wanted to live and die in the Home of the Good Samaritan. ..."
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Morgan Dakota... 10 Oct 2012 3:23AM GMT 
AnnetteOBrien... 11 Oct 2012 2:18AM GMT 
Morgan Dakota... 10 Jan 2013 8:47PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions