Search for content in message boards

FTM 2012: Error Message "Not enough space on drive" with attempt to restore file in Windows 7 Parallels VM on Mac OS Lion

Replies: 5

FTM 2012: Error Message "Not enough space on drive" with attempt to restore file in Windows 7 Parallels VM on Mac OS Lion

Posted: 1 Nov 2011 12:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
I AM STARTING A NEW THREAD BY QUOTING MYSELF IN THIS ONE, IN HOPES IT WILL BE HELPFUL FOR OTHERS TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO USE FTM 2012 IN PARALLELS ON A MAC:

Re: "File system of FTM 2008" - updated 2011 for FTM 2012 in a Windows 7 Parallels VM on Mac OS Lion

Thank you for solving my dilemma, even though it is 3 years later! I have FTM 2012 installed on a Windows 7 virtual machine in Parallels 7, running within Mac OS 10.7.2(Lion). I, too was getting a "Not enough space on drive" error message when trying to restore a file, even though there was clearly more than enough space on my drive.

A wee light bulb went off in my brain with the comment about it not working with a backup from a network drive. The way my Parallels is set up, Documents is a shared folder which is located on the Mac side. Windows Explorer sees these shared folders as network drives named psf(--). While FTM seems to work OK with this setup in its regular functions, the restore function does not.

I copied the FTM folder into the Users\Administrator\My Documents folder on the C drive in the Windows 7 virtual machine. The restore went through without a hitch. I feel like I am in a time machine, thanking people in a conversation that happened 3 years ago!

Posted: 31 Oct 2011 11:11PM
HOWEVER... the restored tree is listed as a separate tree, which is not linked to the ancestry tree it used to be linked with :^( . Maybe because I renamed it. I will try doing it again without renaming it.

Posted: 31 Oct 2011 11:23PM
Nope, doesn't work. No matter what I name it or whether I save it to the original or new location, I will have to either upload it and link it to Ancestry as a new tree, or download the Ancestry tree as a new tree in FTM.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mizmurdock 1 Nov 2011 6:46AM GMT 
Leo-Guy de Re... 5 Apr 2013 2:12PM GMT 
Sean Franklin 5 Apr 2013 5:33PM GMT 
Leo-Guy de Re... 5 Apr 2013 7:12PM GMT 
eevande 29 Apr 2013 6:39AM GMT 
Leslie_1587 17 Jul 2013 8:34PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic