Search for content in message boards

Organizing digital records & photos in FTM 2012

Replies: 7

Organizing digital records & photos in FTM 2012

Posted: 6 May 2013 6:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm trying to organize my digital media, which includes photos, census records and any/all other types of records, stories or other documents, and newspaper clippings, that I have attached to my tree in FTM 2012. Some of these records were attached to my online tree and got imported/synced to my computer that way. The rest I've attached through the merge function in FTM 2012. All of this media is saved in the FTM 2012 Media folder on my external hard drive.
I'm currently in the process of renaming a lot of these media. My problem is, after settling on one format for naming my media, I've decided that a slight change would be better. Before I go back and re-do what I've already done, I thought I'd ask here and see what others do or think.
My old method was Year of document Last Name Full First Name Type of Document Other Information. An example of this would be, 1930 Smith John Allen US Census wife Mary Ellen Clark & 4 Children Omaha Douglas Nebraska. What I want to do now is change the order I arrange what I use to name the media. An example of that is, Smith John Allen 1940 US Census wife Mary Ellen Clark & 4 Children Omaha Douglas Nebraska.
By doing it this way, all media for John Allen Smith will be arranged together and in chronological order. My old way put ALL media in chronological order and one person's media would be scattered among all my people.
Does this make sense or am I missing something?
Would appreciate any thoughts or ideas on what you do and why you do it that way.
Thanks.
Marti
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
hasenfuss25 6 May 2013 12:54PM GMT 
David Abernat... 6 May 2013 2:20PM GMT 
kj_norway 6 May 2013 5:40PM GMT 
David Abernat... 6 May 2013 6:14PM GMT 
kj_norway 6 May 2013 6:24PM GMT 
silverfox3280 6 May 2013 5:40PM GMT 
hasenfuss25 6 May 2013 7:28PM GMT 
keithnuttle 7 May 2013 2:34PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions