Search for content in message boards

GREEN Families of Greenville County

Replies: 39

Isaac Green's father Joseph Green: his will

Posted: 4 Sep 2001 3:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Jun 2005 7:21PM GMT
Surnames: Green, McEntire, McAfee, Whorten, Aker, Twitty, Dixon
Linda, guess you've found this by now, but Isaac was a son of Joseph Green & Mary (McEntire?) Green of Old Tryon County, NC. Joseph's will:

Written 29 September 1771, Proved January 1772

"In the name of God amen the twentieth Day of September one thousand Seven Hundred and Seventy one Joseph Green of Tryon county and province of North Carolina Planter Being sick and Weak of body but perfect of mind and memory thanks be to God. Therefore Calling unto mind the Mortality of my body and that it is appointed for all men once to Die do make And ordain this my last will and testament that is to say Principally and first of all I give and Recommend my Soul into the Hands of God that gave it and for my body I recommend it to the Earth to be buried in a Christian like and Decent manner at the discretion of my Executors Not Doubting but at the General Resurrection I Shall receive the Same Again by the Mighty Power of God and as touching such Wourdly Estate Wherewith it Has Pleased God to bless me in this life I give Demise and Dispose of the same in (the following manner and form) First I Give and Bequeath to Mary my Dearly Beloved wife the sum of One Hundred Pounds to be raised And levied out of my Estate likewise I Give and bequeath unto William Green my Dearly and Well beloved Son the sum of One Hundred Pounds to be raised And levied out of my Estate likewise I Give and bequeath Unto Anne Green my Dearly and well beloved Daughter the Sum of One Hundred Pounds to be raised and levied out of my Estate likewise I Give and bequeath unto Abraham Green my Dearly and well beloed Son the sum of One Hundred Pounds to be raised And levied out of my Estate likewise I Give and bequeath unto Isaac Green my Dearly and well beloved son the sum of One Hundred Pounds to be raised and levied out of my Estate likewise I Give and bequeath unto Mary Green my Dearly and well beloved Daughter the Sum of One Hundred Pounds to be raised And levied out of my Estate likewise I Give and bequeath unto Jacob Green my Dearly and well beloved Son the sum of One Hundred Pounds to be raised And levied out of my Estate likewise I Give and bequeath unto Joseph Green my Dearly and well beloved Son the Sum of One Hundred Pounds to be raised And levied out of my Estate Will that Abraham Isaac Jacob Mary and Joseph be sent to School and learnt to Read and Write a good Commendable Hand and to Cypher so far as the Rule of three and that to be paid out of my Whole Estate be valued and that the sums above mentioned be paid out of lands and tenaments and make and ordain my well beloved wife Mary Green and my Well beloved brother James McEntire my only Executors of this my last Will and testament and I Do Hearby Utterly Disallow Revoke and Disannul All and Every other former Wills and testaments and legacies and bequests and Executors by me in any Ways before this time Named Willed and bequeathed Ratifying and Confirming this and no Other to be my last will and testament in
Witness Whereof I have Hereunto Set my Hand and Seal the Day and year first above Written.

Signed Sealed published pronounced and Declared by the sd. Joseph Green as his last Will and testament in ye presence of us the Subscribers Viz
Joseph Green (his mark)
Henry Reynolds (his Mark)
Alaxander Mcander
Robt McAfee jurrate

Isaac signed the receipt for his inheritance:
"Received of James McAfee the Sum of one Hundred and Ten Pounds curant money of North Carolina in good Trade agreable to the former prasement and Do Hereby acknowledg my Self my heirs and as Signs forever fully Satisfied there With for my part of an estate Left and bequeathed to me by my father Joseph Green Dessed and I do hereby forever quite and Clame toany of sc. astate Ither Real or parsonal Received this Second Day of July 1784."
The receipt was witnessed and signed by Jacob Collins and Mary Collins with her mark.

Isaac's father Joseph is buried somewhere near Buffalo Creek near the NC/SC line between Earl, NC (Cleveland County) & Blacksburg, SC (Cherokee County). His mother remarried after Joseph's death to James McAfee & died in 1817. She, James McAfee, Isaac's brother Major William Green & his wife Druscilla are buried at Bostic, NC, Rutherford County.

Isaac's brother Abraham (married Hannah Smith) is buried at the Old Buffalo Church just across the NC/SC state line in Cherokee County, SC.

Brother Jacob (married Frances Sara "Fanny" Aker) is buried in St Clair, Alabama.

Brother Joseph (married Bellariah Twitty), not sure where he is buried.

Sister Anne married Robert McAfee, not sure where they are buried.

Sister Mary Olivia married Benjamin Whorten, not sure where they are buried.

All the children signed for their portion of Joseph's estate.

Isaac's brother William was my 4th Great-Grandfather.

Oh, Mary (McEntire?) Green McAfee was the grandmother of Amanda Elvira McAfee Dixon who was the mother of Thomas Dixon Jr who wrote the novel that became the movie "Birth of a Nation". Amanda's dad was Abner McAfee, half-brother of Isaac.

Hope this helps,
Judy

Judith Parker-Proctor
judytalk@shelby.net
JProctor1@aol.com
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~judytalk/index.htm
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
tempeberggren 24 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT 
SUZMAT 24 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT 
tempeberggren 24 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT 
MLancaster 25 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT 
tempeberggren 28 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT