Search for content in message boards

Public Member Trees Are A Joke

Replies: 13

Re: Public Member Trees Are A Joke

Posted: 13 Feb 2014 11:57AM GMT
Classification: Query
First I apologize for being so short in my comment re your rant. Every few weeks it seems that someone complains about junk trees and it always seems to include a reference to looking at many public trees. But what I should have remembered is that includes my own back in 2010 when I first started finding that people had taken my ancestors/ documentation/ photos and attached them to the wrong people. I do know that it's very frustrating and almost impossible to correct. I tried contacting some of them and (nicely) explaining that they were mistaken and why. Only one corrected it. I attached 'stories' to a few ancestors which explained that they never came to the US, never remarried etc. and where they could find the documentation for that. And - you guessed it - they attached it to their trees and otherwise didn't change a thing. These particular ancestors are very well documented. (And yes, if you've looked at my tree I do have some ancestors - quite a few generations back - in my tree who with titles and did in fact live in manors/castles. I can't help it, it's true and also well documented. It also doesn't mean a thing and quite frankly some of them were not nice people)

As to Ancestry 'fixing' all the junk trees while it would be wonderful if they did away with the easy click and copy (hints too!) so that people had to actually key in the info and perhaps then pay attention to what they were adding, I truly don't see how it would be feasible for them to 'correct' everyone's trees. And as we've all seen the casual clicker isn't going to do it voluntarily.

That said, 'BurgessDonnelly' is absolutely correct - the people who need to hear this aren't likely to ever look at this board. (But it does give the rest of us a place to vent ;-D )

J Murphy

(BTW if ever someone spots a mistake in one of my trees - and there ARE mistakes - be so kind as to point it out to me.)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jerry Stevens 12 Feb 2014 2:13PM GMT 
barbarajfn 12 Feb 2014 7:58PM GMT 
jojensagain 13 Feb 2014 12:10AM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 13 Feb 2014 12:21AM GMT 
Jerry Stevens 13 Feb 2014 2:10AM GMT 
barbarajfn 13 Feb 2014 3:22AM GMT 
Jerry Stevens 13 Feb 2014 4:01AM GMT 
mbmjlm 13 Feb 2014 4:55AM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 13 Feb 2014 4:02AM GMT 
jojensagain 13 Feb 2014 6:57PM GMT 
per page