Search for content in message boards

Larsen - Need help finding information on my great great grandad's parents

Replies: 13

Re: Larsen - Need help finding information on my great great grandad's parents

Posted: 4 Feb 2013 7:59AM GMT
Classification: Query
The exact farm where the family was living with Andrea Eriksdatter's parents is helpful to know, since the records can often be traced to the farm - sometimes through a bygdebok, a farm and family history book which tells the history of the farm and those who lived on it.

The Andrea Eriksdatter and Lars Olsen family with son Mikael Larsen was living here in 1865, her parent's family farm.

Fylke (county in Norway): Hordaland
Kommune (municipality): Lindås
Sogn (local parish church): Austreim
Gårdsnummer (main farm number): 162
Gammelt matrikkelnr(the farm number that was from an older farm numbering system): 216
Navn på gård (name of the main farm : Børillen, also written Børilde or Børilden.

At Børilden there were several subfarms located there. In 1886 there were six little farms at Børilden/Børillen.
Andrea Eriksdatter's older brother Elias Eriksen had inherited by then, and the subfarm was subfarm 5 (out of 6)
which also had an older nuer: 785aa Børillen
Elias Eriksen

In 1900 Elias Eriksen was living there with his wife and kids:

http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1900&...

Census year: 1900
Municipality: Lindås
Municipality number: 1263
Name of domicile: Børilden
Number of persons in this domicile: 5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name Family status Marital status Occupation Birth year Place of birth Ethnicity
Elias Eriksen hf g Gaardbruger S og Fisker 1841 Lindaas SB
Anna Andersdatter hm g Gaardmandskone 1845 Lindaas SB
Ingvald Eliassen s ug Gaardsdreng Fisker 1882 Lindaas SB
Ingeborg Eliasdatter d ug Tjenestepige (husligt arbeide) 1879 Lindaas SB
Inga Eliasdatter d ug Datter 1886 Lindaas SB

Elias was a farmer who owned the farm, and a fisherman. His kids are Ingvald, Ingeborg, and Inga. They are all helping at the farm, and the son Ingvald is also helping with the fishing.

If we could find their descendants, maybe there were old letters or something at the farm from your ancestor, or maybe even a modern DNA test could determine if you are related? That's a lot to ask of someone, but I see that genealogy DNA is more common nowadays.

What a difference 10 years makes. There is another census in Norway for 1910, and in that 10 year stretch since the previous census, Elias Eriksen has died, and his son Ingvald Eliasen has taken over the farm, married, and had 4 children. Ingvald's mother (Elias' widow) is living with the family still, as is her right as the former owner. The oldest son would generally inherit in Norway, the farm and the care of the parents for the remainder of their lives.

http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1910&...

Census year: 1910
Municipality: Austrheim
Municipality number: 1264
Name of domicile: Børilden
Number of persons in this domicile: 7

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name Family status Marital status Occupation Birth year Place of birth Ethnicity
Ingvald Elias. hf g Gaardbruker 29.02.1884 t
Ragna Bertelsd. hm g Gaardmandskone 07.05.1883 Evenvik
Children:
Hilmar Ingvalds. s ug søn 20.10.1903 t
Bergliot Ingvaldsd. d ug datter 28.09.1904 t
Emma Ingvaldsd. d ug datter 28.08.1906 t
Alf Ingvalds. s ug søn 28.12.1909 t
Anna Andersd. fl e Kaarkone 09.04.1845 t

some changes have been made to the structure of the government there, such as the municipality is Austreim - which was their parish earlier, still the same location, but maybe population growth caused the shift in offices.

The next time I am able to see the farm (if I don't have the Lindås Austreim bygdebok (history book) is in 1950 on the tax census online.

Farm 162 in Austreim parish in Hordaland, Norway, subfarm 5

Up to this point you have noticed that each generation uses their father's patronym, and their last name changes with each generation, plus with each new farm they move to. But in the early 1900's, Norway passed a law that made people choose a permanent family surname. As people moved away from rural parishes and farms, a better method of tracking them was needed.
So in 1950 on the tax list for Børillen farm, it shows that Ingvald E. Børilden is owning that subfarm 5. So it appears that Børilden is the family surname they have chosen, after the farm they live on.

5 Børillen 1 mark 28 øre Ingvald E. Børilden

http://www.dokpro.uio.no/cgi-bin/stad/matr50?task=s&fnr=...

I googled his name, and found that Ingvald Børilden is in Volume 3 of the Lindås Bygdebok,
Ingvald Børilden born 1884 Volume III page 534

Now to get someone to help with the Bygdebok.
I will work on that.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
hollycb 27 Jan 2013 9:00PM GMT 
4vivi 27 Jan 2013 11:25PM GMT 
thoraway 27 Jan 2013 11:37PM GMT 
hollycb 28 Jan 2013 7:42AM GMT 
thoraway 28 Jan 2013 12:21PM GMT 
hollycb 28 Jan 2013 12:42PM GMT 
TarynMN 3 Feb 2013 4:07PM GMT 
TarynMN 3 Feb 2013 4:29PM GMT 
hollycb 3 Feb 2013 6:07PM GMT 
TarynMN 4 Feb 2013 2:59PM GMT