Search for content in message boards

Jacob A. Hartsfield 1822-1875

Replies: 11

Re: Jacob A. Hartsfield 1822-1875

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 3:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hartsfield
Martha,

You wrote, "I have a problem figuring out just exactly which survey belonged to whom." Hold the cursor over one of the colored shapes on the map and "click" once within the shape. A tag should open. At this time the colors of the shapes indicate the drainage basin (yellow = Wheat Swamp, magenta = Loosing Swamp, blue = Briery Run, green = Gum Swamp, brown = Cabin Branch). A heavy blue border indicates a web-link on the corresponding tag to a US GenWeb Archives transcription. I am a novice when it comes to creating a map on Google Maps.
I appreciate the transcriptions you have posted over the years. They have helped my Hartsfield research quite a bit as the surviving pre-1880 records are quite fragmented between various archives and collections within those archives.
I hope one day to get to Lenoir County as I have never been. My interest is in my ancestor, Godfrey Hartsfield, who lived there from at least 1744 to at least 1751, and in his prodigy. I descend from his son, Andrew Hartsfield, who settled in Franklin County in the mid-1740s (and later Wake County) and may have never lived in Lenoir County. Godfrey's other sons: Paul, John, and, for a time, George (probably a son), settled in Lenoir County.
I ordered copies of the Paul Arrandell Hodges and Alma... Collection from the NC State Archives. These enabled me to nearly pinpoint the location of Paul Hartsfield's lands along Gum Swamp. (I had been off by several hundred yards). I should be getting the Mrs. Mattie Kennedy Parrott Collection in the mail in the next week or two. This should help me pinpoint where Godfrey Hartsfield and his neighbors lived along Sandy Run (a little southeast of the Cabin Branch surveys shown on the map).
I would be curious to know if Lenoir County ever obtained the software you mention and if I am mapping something that has already been mapped.
I am a highway engineer for my native State of Washington. As such I use drawing software (CADD) daily and have a good knowledge of how the metes and bounds of these colonial surveys work. I have a BA in geography from the University of Tennessee with a notion at one time to work in cartography.

Eric Hartsfield
Edmonds, Washington
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
bamannandpoyn... 7 Aug 2012 7:44PM GMT 
bamannandpoyn... 7 Aug 2012 7:58PM GMT 
hitchhikerfan 8 Aug 2012 6:49PM GMT 
hitchhikerfan 8 Aug 2012 6:50PM GMT 
bamannandpoyn... 8 Aug 2012 8:02PM GMT 
hitchhikerfan 9 Aug 2012 2:47AM GMT 
hitchhikerfan 9 Aug 2012 2:56AM GMT 
EricHartsfiel... 9 Feb 2013 5:47PM GMT 
58marble 9 Feb 2013 6:05PM GMT