Search for content in message boards

Peder Tostensen and Ingeborg Knutsdatter/Knutsdt

Replies: 35

There`s the link 2!

Heidi (View posts)
Posted: 23 Sep 2002 1:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
This certainly has been a tough nut to crack, but now I believe I have it!

Try following this:

The only farm in Norway with a similar-sounding name to Skiel, is SKJEL in Vestre (western) Slidre, Oppland county. I decided to take a closer look.

In 1856 a young girl came moving from Østre (eastern) Slidre after having married Thomas IVERSON Skjel. (Note how the an old, and nice round I, would look like an O in Overson/Olverson or any of the names we tried to read from the handwritten records). The girl was Marit Tostensdtr. DALE.

The marriagedate for Marit Tostensdtr. Dale and Thomas Iverson Skjel is May 1st 1856 in Østre Slidre. This is the SAME DATE as Peder Tostensen Dale married Ingeborg Knudsdtr.!!!

Marit Tostensdtr. Dale is the daughter of Tosten Gulbrandsen Dale. Thus she was the sister of Peder Tostensen Dale on the Skolte farm in 1865 census, who was the father of Kari Pedersdtr. Dale, Albert Gravaas` first wife.

Marit Tostensdtr. Dale and Thomas Iverson Skjel had a daughter. Her name was Anne Thomasdtr. Skjel. She was not born 26.12.1865, but BORN 17.12.1864, CHRISTENED 26.2.1865. (See how a nice mix of the two dates became 26.12!?)

So there we have it. Anne Thomasdtr. Skjel and Kari Pedersdtr. Dale are cousins. Perfect match! Isn`t this fun?!

Links to the records:

Marit Tostensdtr. Dale moves to Skjel:
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbas...

Marit Tostensdtr. Dale married Thomas Iverson Skjel (LDS records):

Marit TOSTENSDR Age At Marriage: 24
Sex: <F>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth: <1832>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parents:
Father: Tosten GULBRANDSEN
Marriage:
Spouse: Thomas IVERSEN Age At Marriage: 22
Marriage: 01 May 1856 Place: Ostre Slidre, Oppland, Norway
Event(s):
Birth: <1834>
Parents:
Father: Iver THOMASSEN

Source Information www.familysearch.com:
Batch Number: M425072
Source Dates: 1849 - 1874
Film or Fiche Number: 307320
Collection Details: Ostre Slidre; Den Norske Kirke

-----------------------------

Here is your Anne Thomasdtr. Skjel in the 1865-census. She is at the Holene farm, which is nextdoor to larger Skjel farm. I have noticed that many of the residents at Holene used the Skjel lastname at emigration.

If you push the PREVIOUS button once and twice you`ll be at Skjel.
(I have a theory that Tosten Tostensen at Skjel nordre (northern) is another brother of Peder and Marit Tostensen Dale, but don`t know this for certain).

Marit Tostensdtr., was the 3rd daughter of Tosten Gulbrandsen and Astri Pedersdtr. called Marit (other Marits died young). She was christened 9 Nov 1831 Østre Slidre, Oppland. Parents married Nov 2nd 1816. Peder Tostensen, her brother, born 1821 (you have these dates allready).

Tosten Gulbrandsen and Astri Pedersdtr. live with their oldest son Gulbrand Tostensen at Mørstad farm in the 1865-census. Gulbrand is the uncle of Anne T. and Kari P., while Anne Tostensdtr. age 40 in the census (bottom line), is their aunt. The other children (Tosten, Knut, Barbro, Marit) are their cousins:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seems your Anne Thomasdtr. Skjel left Skjel for the US (Decorah Iowa) together with the son of Tosten Tostensen (Dale?) Skjel in 1883. His name was also Tosten Tostensen. Thus he may be a cousin of hers, or just a good neighbour. Note that Anne`s middle initial is misspelled F=T in this transcription, and age is a little off. But I am pretty sure this is her:

PUH! :-)

Heidi

PS: I also posted this on the Mower board, to finish the thread in a way!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Vicki Walberg 28 Jun 2002 3:13AM GMT 
Heidi 28 Jun 2002 10:07AM GMT 
Vicki Walberg 29 Jun 2002 12:37AM GMT 
Heidi 29 Jun 2002 10:42AM GMT 
Heidi 29 Jun 2002 11:58AM GMT 
Vicki Walberg 29 Jun 2002 6:45PM GMT 
Vicki Walberg 29 Jun 2002 6:56PM GMT 
Heidi 29 Jun 2002 10:02PM GMT 
Vicki Walberg 30 Jun 2002 1:37AM GMT 
Heidi 23 Sep 2002 7:53PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions