Search for content in message boards

Elizabeth Perry Aikens, 1750 Pennsylvania-1815 Guysborough, Nova Scotia

Replies: 24

Re: Elizabeth Perry Aikens, 1750 Pennsylvania-1815 Guysborough, Nova Scotia

Posted: 31 Mar 2009 12:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hugh
Hello Donna, Thank you for replying so quickly and with such interesting news. Yes much of the house appears to have been made from poor Elizabeth Jane: all the floor joists, which were lathed and plastered in 1854 and were only discovered in 2003. The photo is of my youngest daughter in 2005 (on the right), with her much taller friend on the left (now over 6'). The name board, because of its damage, is the original Guysborough board. The Ipswich board, which I must photograph, is in better condition and must date from 1830.

You are welcome to use the photo and any others on my site that I have taken.

If you give me an email address at sg@stephengavin.co.uk I will send you a link to a Google Picasa Web Album in which there are some photographs that I have taken of house beams, and another album containing pictures of a ship like the Elizabeth Jane beached probably very close to Robin Hood's Bay, painted by a local artist (George Weatherill) in the right period. I am in touch with the curator of a Whitby (5 miles north of RHB) Museum and hope to be able to use these pictures on my website as they are so evocative of Elizabeth Jane's final hours/days. On my 'Latest News' page, you will see the coastguard/Lloyd's List account of her loss. I am hoping to find an account of her loss in local Ipswich newspapers of the period, though such a loss was so common it might not have been newsworthy, though William Read her last owner had been accused and tried in 1841 of deliberately sinking the Colina, but was acquitted. There might have been some doubt expressed about the loss of EJ, after all it was a July day, another ship was passing, and she did not actually sink but drifted ashore.

I'm a little dim about family trees, please can you give me the key to understanding the following. If I understand this I will understand the rest
1 Jane AIKENS , (twin) b: 17 NOV 1788
+ Thomas HUGH[ES] b: 1783 d: 20 MAR 1860
2 Elizabeth Sarah HUGH[ES] b: 1810
+ Elias FOSTER b: SEP 1805
2 Sarah Jane HUGH[ES] b: 31 OCT 1812 d: 10 DEC 1866
+ James FERGUSON b: 1807 d: 18 JUN 1886

It seems this sort of research turns one into a kind of junky, for no sooner does one learn one fact another question is posed and one must start searching again; so I have to ask: 'Have you any pictures in your attic?'. It would be wonderful to see contemporary images of the ship, Thomas, and of course, Elizabeth and Jane!

Would you mind if I mention our contact on my 'Latest News' page ( http://www.lostbrig.net/latest_news.html )the lostbrig.co.uk site? Do you have a website that you would like to be linked to my site?

Thanks again and best wishes,

Steve.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Stephen Gavin 31 Mar 2009 6:22AM GMT 
ljwallace 31 Mar 2009 11:33AM GMT 
Stephen Gavin 31 Mar 2009 12:34PM GMT 
ljwallace 31 Mar 2009 4:17PM GMT 
JackFreeman11... 24 Sep 2009 8:15PM GMT 
ljwallace 24 Sep 2009 11:17PM GMT 
JackFreeman11... 25 Sep 2009 1:36PM GMT 
ljwallace 25 Sep 2009 7:59PM GMT 
JackFreeman11... 25 Sep 2009 11:44PM GMT 
JackFreeman11... 27 Sep 2009 4:03PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions