Search for content in message boards

Annick Lodge, Location please?

Replies: 21

Re: Annick Lodge, Location please?

Andrew Gillespie (View posts)
Posted: 12 Aug 2003 4:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
To add to the info supplied by amie. My father was borne at Annick Lodge in 1916, his best friend was an Andrew Kennedy. The village consisted of 2 rows of terraces miners houses and a single bungalow, "Millburn Side". The rows of houses were set at a right angle to the road in an L shape. My family lived in Millburn Side though my father was borne in one of the terraces. I was borne in 1951 and remember the row of houses that was ajacent to the road. They were demolished in the mid 1950s and no evidence remains. The second row had been demolished much earlier but some of the foundations remain to this day. My great grandfather built Milburn Side and my grandfather was the mining engineer at the pit, in charge of the steam engines and pumps. There were 2 pit heads that the village served. I am only sure with certainty the location of one. It was beside the T junction on the road towards Irvine, about 3/4 mile from the village. The pit was very profitable in its time (enough to build Annick Lodge House which was the home of the mine owner and still exists) producing high grade clay - for the brick and sanitary ware industry, coal and oil shale. The shale was heated at the pit head to produce oil. The ash from the process along with mining wast was brought by light railway (horse drawn) and dumped in a "Bing" behind the houses. The track of the railway and the remains of the bing can be seen today. Of interest my grandfather lost his leg as a boy riding on the railway waggons, it was amputated on the kitchen table at milburn side. This house is now all that remains of Annick Lodge although it has been significantly altered by the current owner. My family left Annick Lodge in the late 1960s but I have relatives, now well into their 70s who will be able to give a far more detailed account of the village. I would be grateful for any inormation you have, in particular copies of any photographs.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
tonypearce7 4 Apr 2013 6:03PM GMT 
Andrew Gillespie 12 Aug 2003 10:07PM GMT 
nairnk 14 Sep 2011 7:27AM GMT 
nairnkennedy 29 Mar 2013 8:07AM GMT 
tonypearce7 27 Mar 2013 8:17PM GMT 
nairnk 30 Mar 2013 4:49PM GMT 
tonypearce7 30 Mar 2013 5:44PM GMT 
nairnk 30 Mar 2013 7:05PM GMT 
nairnkennedy 31 Mar 2013 9:33AM GMT 
nairnk 31 Mar 2013 1:43PM GMT 
per page