Search for content in message boards

Greers Of Missouri

Replies: 11

Re: Greers Of Missouri

Posted: 27 Jul 2010 8:45PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Greer, Osterkamp, Wilson
SORRY ABOUT THE FORMATTING. I WILL EMAIL A FORMATTED VERSION LATER. Below is most of the information I have about the Greer's. I haven't had time to verify all of the information. Most of the information has been loaded in my son's (Douglas Ray Greer) family tree on Ancestry.com. I created the tree starting with my son so that my wife's family would be included.
My father Vester Ira had two brothers Francis Wayne and Harold. They were the sons of Emma Osterkamp and Frank Greer, brother of Albert, Floss, and Charles. Additional information is in the attachments and in the pedigree chart for Douglas Greer. --------------------------

Greer Genealogy 7/26/10---

Frank was my grandfather, father of my father, Vester. Harold was Vester's youngest brother. Henry Osterkamp was the brother of Vester and Harold's mother. Frank appears again in the census at 1 year old. L(ouis) G Greer is Franks's father and Mary is his mother. Albert
and George are Frank's brothers and Bell is his sister.

GREER, FRANK (1920 U.S. Census)
MO, BUCHANAN, WASHINGTON, Age: 39, Race: W, Born: KS,
-----
GREER, HAROLD (1920 U.S. Census)
KS, MARSHALL, COTTAGE HILL TWP, Age: 5, Race: W, Born: MO,
-----
OSTERKAMP, HENRY E (1920 U.S. Census)
KS, MARSHALL, COTTAGE HILL TWP, Age: 31, Race: W, Born: KS,
-----
GREER, FRANK (1880 U.S. Census)
KS, ATCHISON, 4-WD ATCHISON, Age: 1, Race: W, Born: KS,
-----
GREER, L(ouis) G (1880 U.S. Census)
KS, ATCHISON, 4-WD ATCHISON, Age: 32, Race: W, Born: OH,
-----
GREER, MARY (Wilson)(1880 U.S. Census)
KS, ATCHISON, 4-WD ATCHISON, Age: 28, Race: W, Born: IN,
-----
GREER, ALBERT (1880 U.S. Census)
KS, ATCHISON, 4-WD ATCHISON, Age: 4, Race: W, Born: KS,
------
GREER, BELL (1880 U.S. Census)
KS, ATCHISON, 4-WD ATCHISON, Age: 3, Race: W, Born: KS,
-----
GREER, GEORGE W. (1880 U.S. Census)
KS, ATCHISON, 4-WD ATCHISON, Age: 12, Race: W, Born: KS,
-----
From Findagrave.com:::
1. LOUIS G.2 GREER (UNKNOWN1)1 was born Abt. 1848 in Ohio1, and died Mar 7, 1922 in Atchison, Kansas1. He married MARY WILSON1, daughter of ? WILSON and UNKNOWN. She was born Abt. 1852 in Indiana1, and died Unknown1.----

Notes for LOUIS G. GREER:::
Death certificate indicate he was 75 at time of death, place of residence was 1706 Utah Ave. Atchison, Kans. Occupation: Laborer. Albert Greer gave information and his address was 6314 Belding St., St. Joseph, Mo. Burial in Oak Hill cemetery Lot 8 - 3 - E -------

Atchison Daily Globe Tuesday March 7, 1922 :
An old man named Louis Greer, is very low at his home at 1706 Utah avenue. He has pneumonia. His wife is also sick with influenza. They are destitute circumstances, and are receiving county aid. ------

Atchison Daily Globe Wednesday March 8, 1922 :
"So much has been said and written about the extreme poverty in famine stricken Armenia," a nurse of the Atchison County Public Health association told a Globe reporter recently, "that I want to show you some of the horrible conditions existing right here in Atchison that not even Armenia can surpass in poverty and dire wretchedness." The reporter consented to accompany the nurse on one of her regular calls. They went to a place on Utah avenue and entered an old tumble-down, deserted looking shack, hardly fit for animals to live in, where an aged couple, in extreme want of the barest necessities of life, were slowly ebbing away the last days of their existence. The misery and suffering that hovel bespoke cannot well be equaled any place. It looks bad enough from without but inside the stench and filth was almost overcoming. The kitchen was littered with old tins, scraps of bread and pieces of dried, spoiled meat. There was not a knife, fork, spoon or piece of china wear in the entire house. The couple, while they were still able to be up, ate their food out of the tins in which it was canned. The floor was bestrewn with ashes, coal, kindling and old clothing.
The old couple was in a room adjoining the kitchen. It was even dirtier and more ill-smelling, and the real squalor of the place could not be realized until one entered it. A woman, well in the seventies and partially blind, was lying crossways on a foul smelling bed, in a critical state of health. The man, seventy-five years old, was seated in a creaky chair by the stove, groaning with pangs of hunger. " I haven't had anything to eat for five days," he managed to say between spasms of coughing. "I don't think I will live through the night," and the thought did not seem to worry him in the least. The couple is entirely helpless and had it not been for a kindly neighbor women and the nurses of the health office, the distressed pair would probably be dead by this time.
The nurse, efficient and quick, aided by the neighbor, soon established order where chaos had reigned. She had taken food with her and gave the old people something to eat. Next she washed the woman and provided clean bed clothes. When she had finished, the comfort of the old people and the appearance of the room had been improved a hundred per cent.
The old couple are parents of five sons. They all live in neighboring towns and have repeatedly been informed of the old people's condition, but so far they have done nothing. "My sons are no good to me," said the old man, "except one. I know he will help us."[Gathering Moss.GED]------

Atchison Daily Globe, March 8, 1922 :
Louis G. Greer died last night at 8:00 in his home at 1718 Utah avenue. He was 76 years old and pneumonia caused his death. He is survived by his wife and several children, one of whom lives south of town. Another son lives in St. Joe. The deceased has lived in this community for several years. The funeral will be Thursday afternoon, the services to be conducted in the chapel of the Harouff Undertaking Co., at 2 o'clock. Burial will take place in Oak Hill cemetery. Mrs. Louis Greer, who has been very sick with pneumonia is better.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
LAPIERRE_LESL... 27 Jul 2010 2:56PM GMT 
ngreer39 28 Jul 2010 2:45AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic