Search for content in message boards

VON Bretton or DE Bretton in St Croix

Replies: 11

Re: VON Bretton or DE Bretton in St Croix

Posted: 24 Jul 2012 1:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Family Von Bretton,
For years I am working on the family tree of the grandfather ( Richard Benjamin Gumbs (born 18….?) married to Karen Marie Romney in the Methodist church in Anguilla) of my father Abraham Albertus Gumbs ( born in Dutch St.Martin). My parent migrates to Curacao where I was born. For 46 years I am living in Holland.
In my search of the family tree I’ve found the history of William Gumbs-Carter who was a planter in St.Martin and Anguilla.
His sons and daughters married into the family van Romond (the first Dutch governor of St. Martin). The grandson of this governor named Diederich Johan van Romondt mother was the daughter of Baron and baroness von Bretton ( born as a French/Flemish van Uylendeale and was nighted by the Danish crown as baron von Bretton and his wife as a baroness. His first wife was his full cousin so the share the same grandparents baron and Barones von Bretton. For his second marriage he married the daughter of William Gumbs Carter and his two daughters married the two sons of William Gumbs Carter.
As I’ve understood Baron von Breton was a cptain of a ship and for so far I know the grandfather of my father Richard Benjamin Gumbs was registered during that same period as a Seaman. The family Gumbs of Anguilla were Ship builders and Planters.
So if by chance you find Richard Benjamin Gumbs in your family tree please let me know.
I have more information about the family William Gumbs –Carter, Van Rommondt ,von Bretton.
Hope to hear soon from you.
Ingrid Gumbs

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
makedaconsult... 24 Jul 2012 7:47PM GMT 
makedaconsult... 24 Jul 2012 7:46PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions