Hi Ed: The City of Alexanadria Va.,Office of Historic Alexandria, states with certainty; that Phillip and John Alexander farmed much of the surrounding land and Hugh West oversaw the warehouse and tavern. In July of 1749, the community was laid out, and named "Alexandria in honor of the Alexander family.
The "Virginia Prominent Families Vol1-4" , states that the city is named after Thornton Alexander, (whoever he is). The contradictions are always present, aren't they? Those who left Scotland and Ireland because of persecution then become the persecutors of others in the "Peculiar Institution".