Search for content in message boards

Florence Sell McCarthy

Replies: 13

Re: Florence Sell McCarthy

Posted: 25 Aug 2013 8:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McCarthy, Sowney, Calnan,
Hi Tricia,

Calnan is another family name that comes from county Cork, Ireland. Thre is Calnan containers currently inoperation. why don't you google the name & find some living Calnan family?

Branches of the McCarthy clan are usually diferentiated: main line McCarthy Mor descended from Saerbrethach (Justin)ad 925 & his son Carthach- then offshoots: McCarthy Reagh & McCarthy of Gleann-a-Chroim about 1203 descended from Donal Oge McCarthy . Also McCarthy of Dunmanway , Dunhallow, Sowney, Ardcanaughty, all diferentiated by adding a place name after McCarthy.

See the pedigree of McCarthy Mor, Reagh etc in 'Life & Letters of Florence McCarthy Reagh' by Daniel McCarthy Glas. Glas is abbreviation of Gleann-a-Chroim.

Also remember that the McCarthy families (plural) kept intermarrying so you need to know which house, hamlet, village as well as the town nearby & the county of Ireland your McCarthy family comes from originally.

Mine come from Garralacka near Clonakilty in County Cork, Ireland & some stil live on the orignal farm my gt grandfather Michael was born in.

You will just have to look & compare with my tree @Josephine Salt Familytree Halloween 2012'.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
josephinedunn... 25 Aug 2013 2:42PM GMT 
Trishasmom2 25 Aug 2013 5:33PM GMT 
flag14 28 Aug 2013 5:12AM GMT 
josephinedunn... 28 Aug 2013 7:36PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic