John Brown (b. 1875), Mount Desert Island

Replies: 15

Re: Betsey Grindle

Austin H. Brown (View posts)
Posted: 25 Mar 2005 12:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Mar 2005 11:14AM GMT
Surnames: BROWN, BROWNE, GRINDLE, THOMAS, LURVEY
Thankyou verymuch for the information i really appreciate it...three questions if i may?....1. Back in 1807, was the town of Penobscott the same as the one we know today?, or was that another name for Castine at that time? 2. Awhile back, one of our board member's was convinced that this/our John Brown (b.1784/85) who married Betsey Grindle was also born in Sedgewick? I haven't found any reference's to date to verify that fact..have you seen anything? 3. This John Brown's father..John Brown (b. approx 1755-65) is listed on several land deeds on Mount Desert Island as being from Belfast? His brother James Brown is listed as contesting some type of land grant to the Gen Court of Massachussets in 1785..the old ink is blurred so I can't figure out if the land grant was for MDI or Thomaston? I have a hunch it was a Bernard grant but i can't find anything anywhere..just the date of the petition.1785 and possibly the date of the deed to James from his his father John Brown (b.?? 1735-40?) dtd 1773..but that wouldn't make sense as Gov.Bernard was long departed to England by then..? Anyway any help is greatly appreciated as all the towns had slightly different names back then and i see refernces to deer isle..vinalhaven and gouldsboro for that time frame with my Brown's so it is possible they all could be related? Only other clue is reference to one of the John Brown's being a "Wheelright"???? thanks again Austin Brown
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Carol-Jeanne 24 Mar 2005 4:02PM GMT 
Austin H. Brown 25 Mar 2005 7:04PM GMT 
Austin H. Brownth 25 Mar 2005 7:14PM GMT 
cat56ri 8 Jul 2010 10:11PM GMT 
LeoniceB 21 Feb 2014 9:25AM GMT 
bonesval 3 Feb 2005 1:05AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions