Search for content in message boards

FOUND !! THANK YOU!! Obit Look-ups Please - George J. THOMAS & Lucy THOMAS, his daughter

Replies: 11

Re: Obit Look-ups Please - George J. THOMAS & Lucy THOMAS, his daughter

Posted: 7 Aug 2012 3:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: THOMAS, DEBOW, LAMBERT, HOWE, NIXON, SMITH, SUMMERS/SOMERS
Religion - George Thomas & Minnie DeBow married in the Grace ME Church, now known as the Grace UMC, on the corner of 7th & St. John's Place in Brooklyn. Daughter Lucy was also baptised there. I've no onformation on daughter Alice's baptism but since the family was still in Brooklyn at the time it's to be assumed she, too, was probably baptised in Grace ME.

I would surmise that George & Lucy remained Methodist.

Some where along the line, however, daughter Alice converted to Catholism as evidenced by the line in her obit, "She was a graduate of Catholic University, receiving her R.N. and B.S.M."

Burials - Thanks. That's one cemetery down & who knows how many more to check.

1940 Census - So much easier to check now that the indexing is complete!

George has his own sheet & he's the only person on it. Sea Grit Lighthouse was enumerated as a separate institution within Sea Girt Borough.

I knew Alice was out of the household since I'd found the same 1940 entry you have as well as knowing from her obit that she'd gone to college so I rather expected not to find her still with her father but Lucy was a life long spinster so I had expected to find her still at the lighthouse.

So far Lucy has eluded me on the 1940 census despite applying all the search tricks I've learned over the years. I wonder if she didn't get enumerated or, if during the indexing, she got skipped over. The volunteer indexers were, by no means,all professional data input people nor infalliable so that's possible.

I also checked Sea Girt, page by page. Found tow unrelated Thomas"es and a Thompson but no Lucy! I hope she'll turn up eventually.

Asbury Park Library - I've noticed a lot of "public" libraries instituting fees for one thing or another since the start of the Recession. I would suspect it's all in response to declining funding combined with escalating costs. Our biggest public library in the state found it'self with 0 funding from the government and flat revenue earnings from it's endowments a couple of years back. The end result was that to survive at all, the library divested itself of all it's branches. All that remains today is the original main library.

Port Jervis - Well, it is said that it's a small world. Unfortunately, there's Summers/Somers anywhere in the bit of the DeBow line that migrated to Port Jervis unless one married in recently.

George's sister-in-law Martha was the first DeBow to migrate to Port Jervis with her new husband, Theodore Howe whose family was native to the Port Jervis area. Martha & Theodore had no children.

Next to make the move north was Alice DeBow nee Bevans, the mother of Minnie DeBow Thomas & her sisters Martha DeBow Howe & Grace DeBow Lambert. I don't know the exact date/year but I suspect it may have been after Minnie, last of the sisters to marry, married George Thomas. I do know it was before Nov 1912 because on the 12 of Nov, widowed Alice married widower Samuel W. Smith in Port Jervis. Alice & Samuel are found in the household of Theodore & Martha in 1920.

The last to migrate to Port Jervis was widowed Grace Lambert nee DeBow. Grace & her children Howard, Alice, Thomas & Albert are still in Brooklyn for the 1925 NYS census but by the 1930 census, the family has broken apart.

1930 -
Howard the eldest child is living in th "Y" in Brooklyn.

Daughter Alice has married and son Thomas is living with Alice & her new husband, Bertrum Nixon, all in Brooklyn.

In Port Jervis on the 1930 census, all in one household are Theodore Howe, head, wife Martha, her now twice widowed elderly mom Alice DeBow Smith nee Bevans and her widowed sister Grace Lambert nee DeBow with her youngest son, Albert Lambert.

1940 - All are gone except Albert Lambert who had recently married. I knew Alice DeBow Smith nee Bevans was deceased, d. 1930 shortly after the census was done. And Theodore Howe, too. He was a fireman for the Erie RR & I'd found a newspaper account of his work accident that lead to his death in 1936 but I hadn't expected that Minnie Thomas' sisters Martha & Grace would also be gone!

I know from a relative of Alice Lambert Nixon that her brother Albert Lambert did have two daughters after 1940. So, who knows? I know nothing about those Lambert daughters, if or who they may have married or if they had children or who those children - if they existed - might have married. If you come up with a Lambert in your Summers/Somers Port Jervis clan, your tree might then tie in with mine :)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mindfoggs2 7 Aug 2012 9:11PM GMT 
travelers172 10 Feb 2013 6:57PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic