Search for content in message boards

Ancestry DNA test - 97% British Isles!?

Replies: 16

Re: Ancestry DNA test - 97% British Isles!?

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 8:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
"I have found no matches from my ancestry results. I'm hoping for more matches as more data is obtained."
One thing I've noticed is that it usually takes several thousand people in a tree before there is good matching. Occasionally, I get a good match with less than that. For very small trees, I have rarely had a match.
There are 2 components to the DNA process on Ancestry:
1. the DNA match itself, which matches with others who have similar DNA. Matching success for that one depends on others in your ancestral line who have taken the test here.
2. the tree matching, which helps to narrow down who might be the common ancestor. That matching part depends completely on the quality and quantity of the 2 trees.
This is still a very new process, just started in the past few years and less than a year old on Ancestry. As more and more people take the test, there will be more potential for matching. I believe it is still primarily US folks taking the test unless something has changed recently.
Personally, I have thousands of matches, far too many to even deal on a daily basis, with 50-150 new DNA matches coming in every week. My ancestors came to the US from England in the 1600s and from Ireland in the 1800s. So far, I have not had any matches on the Irish lines.
My son also tested here and he has had only a couple matches on his dad's side, the rest are all on my side. Clearly folks in that line have tested more and have better trees to match with.
You may need to put it aside for a while until either more of your relatives get tested and/or more relatives fill in their trees.
Barbara
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Barbara Taylo... 23 Feb 2013 3:52PM GMT 
kcronin199 26 Apr 2013 10:44AM GMT 
Shalandara 26 Apr 2013 11:59PM GMT 
Donna Marsh 26 Apr 2013 6:59AM GMT 
Olson_Randall... 2 May 2013 12:19AM GMT 
scwbcm 2 May 2013 2:01AM GMT 
dmadcat 24 Jun 2013 9:58PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions