Search for content in message boards

ALL Taylors in Franklin County

Replies: 30

Re: Solomon & Robert Fulton, pt 1

Posted: 19 Jan 2003 2:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 May 2006 7:38PM GMT
Surnames: Fulton, Tompson, Taylor, Stratton
Despite my great love of New Hampshire, I can't take the cold so live in central Florida.

Cordelia Taylor Fulton died January 03, 1915 at Hopkinton, NH. She was buried in Goshen.

Robert N. Fulton was the son of Robert Jefferson Fulton & Sarah Tompson. Robert Jefferson, known as Jeff, was the son of Solomon. In these two you will have all of the skeletons that all families tend to have.

I'll start with Solomon. He was born in New York abt 1783. He died between 1855 & 1860. Very little is known about the Fulton family except for what has been recorded in the diaries and newspapers of the period. The name of Solomon's wife and daughter have never been found in town records.
Betsey Carroll a young wife came with her husband to Bakersfield and kept a diary which was later published. From her diary, "Piety in Humble Life or Life and Recollections of Betsey Carroll" we learn: "The following are the names of the heads of families residin gin the south part of Bakersfield at the time we moved to town in 1812: Mathew Gray, Thomas Cochrane, Samuel Ellsworth, Silas Billings, Jonathan Fay, Rufus Earle, John Dunn, Solomon Fulton, James Dunn, Joseph Parker, Emery Parker, Aaron Smith, Josiah Converse and Solomon Davis...
"...Month after month passed in this delightsome manner; everything was just as I could wish, and I began to feel that warfare was over and the conflict ended. The head of nearly every family for some miles around, professed the religion of the Savior; and in nearly every house the family altar erected. There was, however, one exception. Solomon Fulton and his wife, being very proud spirited and fond of dress and worldly pleasure, refused to give up the world for christ, and they continued in their sinful course. They dressed their children neatly, but neglected their religious culture and taught them, by example if not precept, to profane the Sabbath and God's Holy Name. [This family turned out badly, Mr Fulton was a drinking man and when under the influence of liquor he was very quarrelsome. They had three bright and active children; two sons and a daughter. His wife, after suffering about every kind of abuse a woman could suffer, took her daughter and fled to parts unknown. The youngest son, Horatio, left town a few years after, under circumstances not the most promising. The eldest son, Jefferson, followed in the footsteps of his father, drinking and quarreling. He inflicted abuse upon his father, for which he had to suffer fines and imprisonments...]"
It is uncertain when Solomon left Bakersfield but he sold his son Jefferson land in Fletcher in 1828 and the following land record was found: "From Robert J. Fulton, Sally Fulton, and Solomon Fulton to Ira Dean, 41 acres owned for the last 20 years 1st farm in Fletcher on the west side of the highway leading from East Fairfax to Fletcher by Metcalf Pond, so called. Be it remembered that there is a dead body buried in the north part of said land that is to remain upon said land without being disturbed or molested. Date this 10th of November 1854 and signed by Robert J Fulton, Sally Fulton & Solomon Fulton. Wittnessed by John Bickford and Moriah Davis." I've always wondered WHOSE dead body is buried there!
In 1850, Solomon is listed among those living in the household of his grandson, Robert Nero Fulton and his wife Cordelia Taylor Fulton who were then living on land deeded to them by Sally Fulton on September 7, 1849. Solomon was then 67. He is known to have been living in September 1855 when he is mentioned in a newspaper clipping. He does not appear on the 1860 census.

Solomon's oldest son, Robert Jefferson Fulton was born 1806/07 probably in New York. Died October 10, 1855 Fletcher - a full account will be posted separately.

Jeff married Sarah Tompson of Fairfax. She was born there February 08, 1799 to James & Amelia Tompson. She died October 18, 1886 at Fairfield, VT.

They had five children: Robert Nero b. March 25, 1828; Charlotte, abt 1834; Miranda, abt 1837; Helen abt 1839/40; Horatio P. b. June 25, 1841. Horatio married Lucretia Taylor, dau of Orange Taylor & Susan Stratton (my grt, grt, grt grdp). Orange Taylor was the brother of your ancestor, Cordelia Taylor Fulton. I will post more on him as well

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
WandaAlter1 19 Jan 2003 9:13PM GMT 
WandaAlter1 19 Jan 2003 9:18PM GMT 
WandaAlter1 19 Jan 2003 9:54PM GMT 
WandaAlter1 20 Jan 2003 2:47AM GMT 
ctaylor85 20 Jan 2003 5:18PM GMT 
WandaAlter1 21 Jan 2003 1:30PM GMT 
shakindatree 30 Dec 2010 11:34AM GMT 
ctaylor85 18 Jan 2003 5:19PM GMT 
deborahlapan 21 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT 
ctaylor85 6 Feb 2003 12:07AM GMT 
per page