Search for content in message boards

Faloons/Falloons of Ballinderry

Replies: 57

Joseph Faloon of Ballinderry or Aghalee.

Nathan D. England (View posts)
Posted: 24 Feb 2000 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Faloon, Falloon, Spence
***********In addendum to my post, I need to clarify a
critical point. Prior to my visit to Northern Ireland,
I assumed that the surname Faloon was an indigenous Ulster
surname, as according to various surname and Irish surname
dictionaries. It lists that Fal(l)oon is a variant spelling
of the more numerous Fallon, from the Irish Gaelic
O Fallamhain or O Falluin, meaning Chief Warrior. However,
I have also discovered that there is an English Fulloon, deriving from the Anglo-Saxon le fulun, meaning a fuller of
cloth. And, since many Lowland Scottish surnames are of Anglo-Saxon origin, I tend to suspect that the ancestors of
my Joseph Faloon were Lowland Scots who came to south Antrim
in the early 1600s in the great scheme of the Plantation of
Ulster, in which James I of England, Scotland & Ireland settled many thousands(250,000) of Lowland Scottish Presbyterians and their lairds in Ulster. In England, there seems to have been a concentration of Fulloons in the environs around London, as well as in Yorkshire and Northumberland, but this surname has virtually died out in England today. There seems to have been a much larger concentration of Fulloons/Fallouns/Fullouns in the Scottish
Borders--namely Galloway, Ayrshire, Lanarkshire, and in certain parts of Fifeshire; as well as in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen & Dundee. I believe that the possibility
that the surname of Faloon could have originated in Lowland Scotland has been overlooked by the famous Edward MacLysaght
and other Irish surname historians. I do believe, however that there is also an Irish Faloon, derived from O Fallamhain, which would help to explain why some Faloons in
Northern Ireland and America are Catholic and others are Presbyterians of primarily Lowland Scottish descent. This hypothesis has been drawn by others with Ulster surnames--
Neely, Mellon, Hoey, Loughlin and Kennedy to name a few. In the end, however, I guess that we probably will never really know, since the histories-- and to a certain extent even the blood of the Irish and Scottish people have been intricately
intertwined in Ulster, as in the fibers of the Irish Linen that was woven by my Scotch-Irish ancestors from the flax grown in the Lagan & Bann valleys in County Antrim & County Down.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Nathan D. England 24 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Nathan D. England 25 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT 
hughm86 24 Jun 2008 2:53AM GMT 
ohiotop19791 18 Oct 2009 2:43AM GMT 
hughm86 18 Oct 2009 3:28AM GMT 
ohiotop19791 19 Oct 2009 1:35AM GMT 
ohiotop19791 19 Oct 2009 1:38AM GMT 
richardbaxter... 8 Feb 2005 1:03AM GMT 
DavidGough42 5 Dec 2006 9:22PM GMT 
richardbaxter... 8 Feb 2005 1:03AM GMT 
per page