Search for content in message boards

Feedback - Tell us what we need to tell Ancestry about the test

Replies: 13

Re: Feedback - Tell us what we need to tell Ancestry about the test

Posted: 1 Nov 2012 8:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Eeek! Hold on a second... :)

You can't rule out lines of descent with an autosomal test because a person isn't a match to you. (Well, unless you're talking very close relatives.)

That cousin may have inherited a completely different segment from your common ancestor. That's why it's good to test as many people as possible. Your sister may match a 4th cousin that isn't on your list, and vice versa.

Also, you may have a segment in common with someone, but it's just below the reporting threshold and won't show up in your list of matches. I have some (if I remember correctly) 6.9 cM matches on GEDMatch with a clear paper trail connection who don't show up in Relative Finder on 23andMe (where the threshold is 7 cM, I think).

What I would like to see is discrepancies noted when someone takes or enters their yDNA or mtDNA results. I put in my mtDNA results and Ancestry gave me the option to tag each member of my direct maternal line with the results. But what if someone else with a matrilineal descent from our ggggg-gm has a different haplogroup? I would like to have that pop up as a hint. It could be very useful in determining the existence of other wives or in perhaps assigning the wrong woman as a wife at some point.

(Ditto for the yDNA test.)

I do think it would be good to see DNA matches integrated into the family tree database, but it might be a headache to implement, since it would mean generating a custom view of the other person's tree. It's also something that needs to happen carefully; we don't want people to get sloppy and say, "Hey, this person is a DNA match and they're related to my ggggg-gf. This MUST be our DNA connection!"

But yes, I would like for my DNA matches to be flagged and linked to our match page when I'm looking at trees, especially since we're soon going to have so many matches that getting to each one in a timely manner will be difficult. I would suggest this via the feedback button, but I don't want to distract The Powers That Be from getting us some segment matching first. ;)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Shari S. 2 Nov 2012 2:32AM GMT 
memorykeeper0... 4 Oct 2012 2:28PM GMT 
jbarry6899 4 Oct 2012 2:37PM GMT 
Jennifer Nail... 16 Oct 2012 6:04PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions