Search for content in message boards

Who can download GEDCOMs from Ancestry.com member Trees?

Replies: 64

Re: Who can download GEDCOMs from Ancestry.com member Trees?

Posted: 8 Dec 2010 4:57AM GMT
Classification: Query
jdyrly

Yes, I am sure you are correct about how the place name problem came about. It is made worse by the fact that there are only a limited number of UK places in the place authority. I saw your posting about the Los Angeles question thank you. I had already simply chosen the ignore option. The point that I specifically was pushing was that it didn't work properly.

Thought that I might describe part of this mornings research session without the hint of a "green leaf merge" or assimilating Borg style a gedcom.

I have an unresolved place, after the obvious has been done:-

1. Search on Ancestry reveals no trees with the individual in, but does tell me (SSDI) that he is now dead. Beware the trap of entering the last place of residence as the place of death.

2. Visit to Find-a-Grave gives me the cemetery where he is buried, and thanks to the kind soul who gave up their time, an image of the gravestone.

3. Googled the name and found an obituary on the local paper's site. The obituary gives me dates and place of birth/death. Dates agree gravestone (not always!) and fills in the missing given name of his wife.

4. Back to Find-a-Grave because I had noticed five more family members buried in the same cemetery. Enter burial details where not already there. Add five more gravestone images. Note with satisfaction that gravestones not only give birth and death dates, but places as well.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
snathaidmhor 10 May 2010 10:15PM GMT 
AGHatchett3rd 10 May 2010 11:50PM GMT 
pcejones 6 Sep 2010 5:01PM GMT 
jdyrly 7 Dec 2010 5:31AM GMT 
pcejones 7 Dec 2010 7:23AM GMT 
jdyrly 8 Dec 2010 8:34PM GMT 
jdyrly 9 Dec 2010 7:00PM GMT 
tony_knight 7 Dec 2010 8:08AM GMT 
jdyrly 7 Dec 2010 10:36PM GMT 
tony_knight 8 Dec 2010 11:57AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions