Search for content in message boards

Research Trip to Asheville

Replies: 18

Re: Research Trip to Asheville

Posted: 19 Mar 2012 4:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Woodard, Lytle, Reid, Dickson
Crystal, I am relatively new to Ancestry, but i do know that Brevard County has opened (or is opening withing the next couple of weeks) a new library. The entire second floor is the genealogy section. A connection I have in Brevard told me it was supposed to be a very thorough collection for North Carolina. Having no idea where to start on family members in Hancock County, TN, I just headed up there with general areas in mind and i found the individuals who lived there to be very helpful and even found one of my ancestors headstones and that another family member was the pastor of a church. He believed that the Fletcher line had died out and that no other cousins remained in that area. The church he pastors is named after my grandfathers direct line. Surprises all around. Local inhabitants are usually very helpful if they know the surname of your ancestor. Many people shared lots of stories they remembered about various family surnames. Another great source of information is the Lloyd Bailey collection of families histories. Any library or local genealogical society should have them. One set in particular has helped me tremendously; The Heritage of the Toe River Valley.
Hope your trip goes well!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
CONNIE HORTON 19 Mar 2012 10:41AM GMT 
aa387genie 19 Mar 2012 3:34PM GMT 
Press411 22 Mar 2012 4:34AM GMT 
CONNIE HORTON 22 Mar 2012 5:34PM GMT 
Conflds_1 11 Jan 2013 3:12AM GMT 
aa387genie 11 Jan 2013 3:38AM GMT 
ReWithrow 30 Aug 2013 2:46AM GMT 
aa387genie 8 Sep 2013 12:59AM GMT 
pamelapsmith1... 25 Oct 2013 4:33AM GMT 
per page