Search for content in message boards

Ryder

Replies: 16

Bower(s) of Castlepollard

Posted: 2 Aug 2007 8:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Greetings,
I saw your message during a search of the "Rootsweb" site for Bower of Castlepollard. I understand that the name is sometimes written as "Bowers".

I was wondering if you had any information on the Bower family of Castlepollard; the local church records were apparently destroyed in a fire in 1863 and it is very difficult to construct the family.

My great great grandmother Stevens was born Mary Ann Bower in ca 1822 at Castlepollard. She came to Australia with a Thomas Bower, not her father or husband, and his 4 children, 3 of whom died on the voyage out. Thomas did not have a wife with him. He was born in ca 1798.

This is about all I have been able to find on Mary Ann. There was a Jane Bower who came out at about the same time and who was born in Castlepollard.
She was similar in age to Mary Ann. Her descendant who does family history has also been unable to find much on the Bowers of Castlepollard.

I have had one "strange" clue. Four of Mary Ann's children died of diptheria within a 4 month period in 1861. Two of the death certificates were signed by Patrick Bower, Uncle. Unfortunately, Patrick disappears from Victorian records soon after this (no death recorded nor marriage nor births of children) as well as having left no shipping record of his entry to Australia that we know of.

Anyway, any help or family tree outlines you can provide on the Bowers of Castlepollard in the 1800s would be appreciated.

Rob Stevens
Melbourne
Australia

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
rmstevens56 3 Aug 2007 2:36AM GMT 
janice ryder 21 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT 
SusanNooneRid... 19 Apr 2011 12:04AM GMT 
shirleyminter... 28 Sep 2004 3:08AM GMT 
paragod64 16 Sep 2010 6:14PM GMT 
SusanNooneRid... 19 Apr 2011 12:09AM GMT 
rebecca gruen... 5 Jan 2014 2:53AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions