Search for content in message boards

Wilson-Heffernan in Tullaroan

Replies: 30

Re: Wilson-Heffernan in Tullaroan

Posted: 26 Nov 2012 7:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Nov 2012 7:27PM GMT
Surnames: Wilson, Heffernan, Morris, Cox, Hayes, Fanning, Fitzpatrick, Maguire
This is a lot of great information about my branch of the Wilsons. Where did you find all of it? I have been looking for a long time, and all I have is the recollection of my dad's cousin, Mary Jane Maguire (MJM), who lived with Jane Wilson in NYC, as a little girl. This is what has been passed to us about the children of Michael and Catherine (written by Mary Jane Maguire Wellington, 1980):

Michael Wilson was a blacksmith, as were all the oldest sons in several generations of Wilsons. Our family story has Michael's wife as a Katherine "Kate" Ryan, but I can't make this work, especially since all of the children we know of for Michael and Catherine Heffernan are the same as Jane's sisters as listed by MJM. I think MJM must have remembered incorrectly.

MJM says that Michael's paternal grandfather was a Protestant minister from Sheffield England who came to Ireland after he retired to live with the Wilsons. According to MJM, "His maiden daughter came with him, and although the old gentleman converted to Catholicism before he died, his daughter was a little more stubborn."

They had 12 children. Six girls and 2 boys came to America, and 2 (don't know if they were male or female) went to Australia.

Jane came to America in 1886. My uncle remembers that she came to the US the same year the Statue of Liberty was dedicated, which was 1886. She came with her niece Annie Tierney. Jane worked as a domestic servant in NYC. She married John Fitzpatrick, from Tullaroan (arrived 1881) in 1888. They had 3 children: Willie b. 1889 d. 1897, Joseph William b. 1890 d. 1960, and Margaret (Maguire) b. 1892 d. @1930. I am the granddaughter of JW Fitzpatrick. Jane did return to Ireland once that we know of. Her sisters pooled their money after Willie died and sent her, John, and JW to visit the family still left over there. I think, but don't remember who, a niece and/or nephew returned with them.

As far as the children who came to the US, this is what MJM says:

One brother went to Montana. The other, Martin, went to upstate NY (Onodago County). In 1923, Martin had two daughters. There may have been more, but MJM doesn't say.

Of the sisters: Hanna supposedly never married. She was a teacher/hedge mistress in Ireland.

Mary married a man named Hayes. They had 1 child who died at 2 months.

Nellie (maybe a nickname for Ellen?) came to the US @ 1890. She died around 1950. She married John Heffernan and had two children: Jack and Helen.

Anne/Anna married James Cox. I have her listed in JW Fitzpatrick's 1930s address book as living in NYC. They had 2 children, Anne and Catherine.

Margaret married a man whose last name was Morris. They had 6 children: Hannah, James, Kitty, Michael, Anne, and Patrick. She must have gotten married in Ireland because I have Patrick arriving from Ireland in 1897. Patrick was friends with my grandfather and fought in WW1. He became a NYC police detective. Anne married a man named Fanning and ended up in Chicago. They had 4 children; Mary, Kayo, Margaret, and Walburga "Wally" (a female). JW Fitzpatrick's address book has Margaret living in the Bronx in the early 1930s.

As for William Wilson, I found him on the 1901 and 1911 Irish census. His mother, Catherine, was living with him and his family. He and his wife lost many children in infancy and childhood, and in 1911, she is listed as insane.

Joseph is one name I didn't have. I wonder if he was the one who went out west.

So that is what I have. I do have photographs of many of these people, including Hanna(h), Martin, Margaret and her son Patrick Morris, we think a photo of Michael and Catherine, but I am not 100% sure. It was taken in NYC, and they are OLD, so it might be some other family members. MJM swears it was Michael and Catherine, but she could be wrong. I also have a photo of the Wilson house and blacksmith shop, taken by JW Fitzpatrick on his trip to Ireland in the early 1930s. By then, it would have belonged to his uncle William.

I am always happy to share information.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
brackpat 29 Apr 2012 10:36PM GMT 
shilbrecht 29 Apr 2012 11:20PM GMT 
brackpat 7 May 2012 5:27PM GMT 
shilbrecht 7 May 2012 7:16PM GMT 
brackpat 7 May 2012 8:37PM GMT 
shilbrecht 30 Apr 2012 4:00AM GMT 
cyrilsmyth1 26 Nov 2012 2:57PM GMT 
shilbrecht 26 Nov 2012 3:19PM GMT 
cyrilsmyth1 26 Nov 2012 11:26PM GMT 
shilbrecht 27 Nov 2012 2:21AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions