Search for content in message boards

Hon. Robert Gould Shaw

Replies: 18

Re: Hon. Robert Gould Shaw

Posted: 24 Oct 2009 5:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Oct 2009 7:16AM GMT
Surnames: Shaw
Good luck on your search. You appear to be on your way. The following may not help but you can never tell:

The "Shaw Neighborhood" in Washington, DC is named after Col Shaw and the plaque that honored him at the Boston Commons was moved there several years ago. The monument to ALL black civil war soldiers is also there and Col Shaw is listed on it. You might gather more info on him by "visiting" the Webpage associated with it. White officers are listed right along with the African-Americans.

Some years ago, the Clan Shaw Society (a Scots heritage group) interviewed a nephew of Col Shaw -- perhaps it was your grandfather -- and donated a book to the Shaw library in Washington. I have a copy of the book somewhere in my library but cannot recall the name at the moment.

My name is Shaw and I was told I was descended from an officer who led a black unit in the civil war and when I heard about RGS I naturally assumed he was the one. But as I became interested in genealogy I learned all my Shaws came from the south. More research revealed that my Major Orrin M. Gross (also listed on the monument above) led a U.S. C. T. artillery unit.

If you have specific questions, I suggest you refer to the sources above and the genealogist for Clan Shaw Society. I will also answer any questions I can, but I know less than the people above.

Mike Shaw
Denison, Texas
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jared1968 14 Jun 2013 6:14PM GMT 
mikeshawmikes... 24 Oct 2009 11:21PM GMT 
webistrator 25 Jan 2010 5:04AM GMT 
jobooII 3 Jan 2011 9:40PM GMT 
angpechman 21 Jan 2011 2:12AM GMT 
johnzola2 20 Jun 2012 7:02PM GMT 
rikki shaw 3 Oct 2012 1:25AM GMT 
billerika_1 9 Feb 2013 5:04PM GMT 
bparker3849 10 Jan 2014 5:15PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions