Search for content in message boards

Change an Individual Fact to a Shared Fact

Replies: 19

Re: Change an Individual Fact to a Shared Fact

Posted: 30 Jan 2014 7:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Jan 2014 7:28PM GMT
You said: "Why would I want to put the same information in multiple times? Some things like Residence info from Census could involve 10 people or more. So I have to put things in 9 times? "

That is why FTM added the ability to copy and paste facts. You enter it once and can paste it all family members that include: parents, siblings, spouses, and children. You can also move to, and select, a different family group and continue to paste without entering a second time.

To get to where you want to go is a wish that many of us have expressed on this board. To be complete however, it would should include the ability to include people who are in a second data base (ie non-family people) and facilitate roles. For example, the holy man who performed the marriage, the flower children, best man, maids of honor, etc would need to be in a second database, like places or dates are in a secondary database now. They would need to be attached to the event via the role they played in the event (the buyer or seller, the bride or the groom, the deceased or the executor, etc.)

The next problem, which is rather unique to FTM and not other software, is the change would have to work in ancestry.com trees. If that can't done, I doubt if FTM software engineers will be allowed to move forward with it. After all, the cash cow for ancestry is the ancestry subscription revenues, not the FTM software revenue.

Some software already handles these situations. FTM does not (yet). Suggest you make an enhancement request and join the chorus of people who have asked for this.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
silverfox3280 31 Jan 2014 2:26AM GMT 
David Abernat... 31 Jan 2014 5:49PM GMT 
kj_norway 31 Jan 2014 6:53PM GMT 
silverfox3280 3 Nov 2012 4:45PM GMT 
casey745 3 Nov 2012 5:53PM GMT 
blantyrelad 3 Dec 2012 10:26PM GMT 
silverfox3280 4 Dec 2012 12:53AM GMT 
blantyrelad 4 Dec 2012 1:44AM GMT 
Emily William... 13 Oct 2013 1:21AM GMT 
silverfox3280 13 Oct 2013 3:41AM GMT 
per page