Search for content in message boards

Sletten from Biri, Norway

Replies: 20

Re: Translation / children

Posted: 29 Apr 2014 11:47AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gullordsletten
Brian,
Thank you so much. The question now is - How do I know that this Mathias Larsen Sletten is mine? I went back and did some rechecking on the birth date I have rec. from his youngest son's family and compared it to all the census records and guess what- Using the birth date given to me by the family from MI all the census ages are off by 4 to 5 years. Using the date that you have provided for a Mathias Larsen Gullordsletten, they match as does the age he gives on his Civil War Pension record. I did know that the census records showed a discrepancy but since that was the date the family gave, I "assumed" they knew". Never assume anything in family history research, even family records unless their is a Bible record.
Is there a way to find out what happened to Lars, Anne and Ole??? death etc. .
I am attaching the picture from Lillehammer - I thought it might be one of Mathia's brother's but have no way of knowing when they started doing photos in Norway, especially of those with limited invome. When Mathias left in 1847, his youngest brother Ole would have been 14. Is it possible that this is a picture he brought with him???
I also access to copies of a couple of letters written in Norwegian but have no idea if they are "from Norway" as just the letter was saved. Do you think it would be helpful to have them translated? The MI branch of the family thought they might be from Mathias's wifes side of the family that stayed in WI when the family moved to MI???
Thank you again for all your help and I am hoping that you will also be able to help with Mathias wife's family at a later date.
Jayne
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jayne_mccarle... 29 Apr 2014 5:47PM GMT 
Brian Gaber 29 Apr 2014 6:50PM GMT 
jayne_mccarle... 28 Apr 2014 11:23PM GMT 
Brian Gaber 29 Apr 2014 4:59AM GMT 
Brian Gaber 29 Apr 2014 10:14AM GMT 
Brian Gaber 29 Apr 2014 10:22AM GMT 
Brian Gaber 29 Apr 2014 10:56AM GMT 
jayne_mccarle... 30 Apr 2014 5:24AM GMT 
Brian Gaber 30 Apr 2014 4:51PM GMT