Search for content in message boards

de LIVAUDAIS of New Orleans

Replies: 26

Re: Dreux

dirk r. dreux, IV (View posts)
Posted: 16 May 2002 2:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
My name is Dirk R. Dreux, IV.
My father was Dirk R. Dreux, III. He came to America in 1937 from Holland as a political refuge and died in Connecticut in 1967.
If my middle name (which honors Robert, Comte de Dreux and 5th son of Louis the 6th, King of France) is ignored, I am Dirk Dreux, V.
The Maison Dreux began in 1115 with Robert de Dreux. A branch of the family became Hugenots in the 16th Century. They were persecuted. Their finale, according to my grandmother was at the Battle of Dreux, around August 1585, where they were massacerd and fled to Holland. When I review my grandfather's research, it seems clear that Denis de Dreux, born in France around 1565, migrated to Holland sometime prior to dying in 1621.In his geneaology of our branch of the family, the names stop being French and become Dutch....tough on the spelling.
In Holland, I can only assume that the former French "prinz de sang" became bourgeois in order to pursue their faith and make a living.
Our end of the family was in the cigar tobacco business.
Research I have done earlier suggests pretty clearly that there were Dreux' in the war of 1812 and the Civil War. My brother Mark has been to Dreux in France and he says a review of the local phone book reveals Dreux's like Smiths. I don'y know, because I have yet to go there. What I do know is that the family's origen resides in the crucible of Western European history and that they may have been here as early as 1721 via New Orleans and that there are pockets of descendants in the Mid-West, New orleans and the West Coast.
Please keep in touch
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
dirk r. dreux, IV 16 May 2002 8:17AM GMT 
Leonie Dedreux-Crawford 16 May 2002 11:25AM GMT 
Leonie Dedreux-Crawford 16 May 2002 11:26AM GMT 
Leonie Dedreux-Crawford 16 May 2002 11:26AM GMT 
Mark Mayronne 14 Nov 2001 1:58AM GMT 
Justin Lemaitre 22 Aug 2002 11:59PM GMT 
krobichau68 30 Mar 2006 11:35PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic