Search for content in message boards

BEECH, DAGUILARD

Replies: 30

Re: Ruan's Bay

Susan J. McKee (View posts)
Posted: 7 Mar 2002 1:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Jason - Regards the St. Croix library in C'sted....the fabulous Danish collection that was on the 4th floor was blown to bits by Hurricane Hugo...with permission from the Danish Collection librarian, I was able to do research in that area prior to Hugo...materials that surivived Hugo were shifted to St. Thomas library...last I heard they were attempting to computerize as much as possible...you might inquire with them...I have corresponded with you in the past...but, have been away from my family research due to move from Hawaii back to New Mexico and remodeling of old house...A Ruan cousin (daughter of John Ruan...he who went to Alaska to hunt for gold) lives (lived) in Artesia, NM...she is (was) a year older than my dad (who is no longer with us) but a generation older...when I get time back into my life, I will pull out her iinformation and pass it along to you...her extended family members reside in the Mid-West.

The Whim Living Museum, if you haven't been there you must go and experience with your family...their library of materials (also made available to me several years ago and not damaged by Hugo) had wonderful pictures among other things...I was particularly touched by some of a "weekend party" at Hannah's Rest then owned by my g-g-grandparents Mary & Leopold Woods...croquet on the lawn...Mary, with hair in a long braid over her shoulder, and Leopold in rolled up shirtsleeves sitting on the porch stairs while quests in bowler hats, 3-pc. suits and women's "visiting" clothing...looks like all wool clothing there played croquet...HOT, HOT, HOT...c.1870's....Also, photo of them all sitting on steps...

I am still hunting for the country of origin for the Rua'n family in St. Croix...have you any new info along this line? I'm thinking of a trip to Celtic areas of Europe...Alpine France/Swiss border area and Spain to see if I can't hunt them down.....
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Susan J. McKee 7 Mar 2002 8:41PM GMT 
JnLnJack 8 Mar 2002 1:42AM GMT 
Richard Bond 26 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT 
Susan J. McKee 26 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT 
Richard Bond 26 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT 
Richard Bond 18 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Susan J. McKee 26 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Susan J. McKee 26 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Michael Mueller 23 Jun 2002 7:55AM GMT 
lheskey 21 May 2010 5:23PM GMT 
per page