Search for content in message boards

Nathaniel West

Replies: 20

Re: Nathaniel West

Posted: 2 Jul 2013 4:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
I don't know what books you have on the Eastern Shore and Princess Anne Co. but so far as I know a lot of records survived. I have several books on both areas. If you contact the NC Archives, you can buy microfilm on Currituck, Tyrrell and Pasquotank Co., I have. I have no doubt you can do the same with the VA Archives.

There were "many" Wests in northeastern NC in the early and mid 1700's. John West was in the Albemarle Precinct by 1690 when he witnessed a deed by Thomas Pollock. One of the most prominent was COL Robert West, he was granted land on the north side of the Albemarle in 1716. So far, I have not been able to make a connection between Edward & Martha West's children (John, Nathaniel Spence and Agnes) and any of the other Wests in the area.

Spence was a very popular name in northeast NC and most likely came from the Spence family on the Eastern Shore. The Spence name was used by many of the early families.

Bear in mind that when Edward's widow, Martha, married James Fox they moved/lived in Tyrrell Co. Nathaniel Spence West later moved to Currituck Co. Agnes West Roughton remained in Tyrrell Co.

I have always felt that Martha moved to Tyrrell Co. because there were relations there but I have no proof.

Jean
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ThreeGuards 2 Jul 2013 10:52PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions