Search for content in message boards

JACKMANS IN AUSTRALIA

Replies: 27

Re: JACKMANS IN AUSTRALIA

Posted: 2 Dec 2006 11:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Ally, my Wm was a carpenter, I think he arrived in Aus in 1874. He states on his mar cert (1884 to Mary Jane EVANS)that his par were Wm Jno and Maria WILLIAMS and he was born in London. His age per the mar cert was 30 making birth date abt.1854. His father is stated as "Contractor" on his death cert, mother "unknown".

BUT his death cert 1901 Boulder WA states his age as 65 making his birth abt.1836 b.London. He spent 20yrs NSW and 7WA, total of 27Aus (no mention of Qld) making his arrival abt.1874. There is a big problem here, why the huge error in age on his death? I can only assume that they knew he real age as 65 thus I have an error in the recordings on all his other certificates including his children's birth certs and marriage which all indicate he was born in abt.1854. If they are errors why would he lie about his age?

In our verbal family history we have always thought that Wm arrived in Moreton Bay. I have a family of JACKMANs arriving Qld 1874 on the Indus. Two Williams ages 39 b.abt 1836 and 17 b. abt.1854, a wife Emma and other children. In the Pioneer's register the whole family with the exclusion of Wm and 3 sons have died by 1876, shortly after arrival. It could be that he moved to NSW after these events and married Mary Jane EVANS, my g'g'mother).

There is also a record of a Wm JACKMAN arriving in Sydney on 22 Nov 1883 in the Aust Genealogical Computer Index reel 458, I have not sighted this). This could be our Wm as I also have a postcard from him to his father in England (which sort of rules out the "Indus" jackman family), undated from Otago NZ. It could be that he left England arrived NZ then moved to Sydney married Mary Jane EVANS, changed his age so that he could not be traced for leaving his wife, say? And was able to keep up the lie until his death in WA in 1901 when it was recorded that he was 65 as the deception was obviously no longer important.

Below is a lookup done for me by a kind person in NZ

"""Hi Harley, I am sorry I have not got back sooner but what with xmas etc the days slipped away. I will send you a site to look for your Williams arrival in Otago, so wish you luck. I did look at the 1851 Census for a William Jackman and the nearest was a William Jackman born 1836 Marylebone, London, they were living in Southwark, surrey, parents were William And Mary, if you can give me any other clues as to occupation etc I will look further for you. did not find a William and Maria in the census so they must have arrived pre 1861 -- did find this marriage William John Askew Jackman married Dec 1/4 1850 St Saviour 4 595 to Hannah Maria WILLS. Also in a disk I have here called the AGCI (Australasian Genealogical Computer Index) a William Jackman arrived Sydney 22 Nov 1883 Reel 458 Hand Isle, this is to be found in the State REcords office, globe St, The Rocks. I also ha d a William Jackman who died in W/A but that was 1941 and is no connection to your family. A death cert should prove what the mothers maiden name was also. Best Wishes Margaret--- Original Message ----- From: "Harley Jackman" <hjj@dodo.com.au <mailto:hjj@dodo.com.au>> To: <mjturner@xtra.co.nz <mailto:mjturner@xtra.co.nz>> Sent: Friday, December 23, 2005 2:11 PM Subject: from Harley jackman re Wm Jackman
> Margaret I am trying to trace a William Jackman who was in Otago NZ and > later moved to Aus an married in 1884 in Sydney. I am lost to his arrival in > Aus and I thought you may have a link to him via NZ, I have attached a > descendant file for you, let me know if it helps or you can see a link > cheers Harley""""

Ally the reference to the Wm b.1836 Maryleborne with par Wm and Mary (could be Maria WILLIAMS?) is interesting?

Hope this helps keep in touch, I can send you the family files off list again if you want, let me know because I think we may have a link somehow,

cheers Harley

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
harleyjackman 3 Dec 2006 6:44AM GMT 
allymc_1 12 Dec 2006 8:01AM GMT 
morrieuk 2 Oct 2008 4:39PM GMT 
djpw 3 Oct 2008 12:36AM GMT 
hjj181 26 Nov 2005 6:09AM GMT 
Harley Jackman 17 Dec 2005 9:17PM GMT 
Alison 18 Dec 2005 4:08AM GMT 
gailnpeter 6 May 2013 7:15AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions