Search for content in message boards

FTM 2011 and Memory leak issues

Replies: 24

Re: FTM 2012 and Memory leak issues

Posted: 28 May 2013 11:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
I've only just started having memory leaks on FTM 2012 (Windows 7) with approx 16,000 people. The memory error occurs after multiple pasting of data to different screens, e.g. citation text.

I presume that as FTM adopts automatic save functionality, there is a continual requirement to place data into memory so that the data can eventually be written to the data file. The current file structure does not allow this writing to be immediate and so the data is slow to be flushed out of memory which is why (after a while) if you are frequently opening screesn (like facts and notes) plus copying and pasting / merging data, eventually the 32bit memory utilization is exhausted.

Ideally what we need is either a better file structure for immediate writing to disk, or, improved management and flushing of temporary data after the writing has occured.

We should remember that this is not purely an FTM problem, but how FTM uses the underlying MS framework functionality. The overriding issue though is that FTM is working with old technology but we expect it to handle large amounts of data particularly since its partnership with Ancestry which has opened up far more resources to be acquired into our files, plus we are getting faster at using the system.

Looking ahead, it would be helpful for FTM to issue some guidance to us on future development and direction as I am sure all of us will soon start hitting these memory problems more frequently as our files and processing increases. If we could get some assurance that our ever-growing memory requirements needs a solution that they are going to fix, we can be a bit more patient and not move our data elsewhere.

Until these underlying issues are resolved, perhaps a nice-to-have feature would be an on-screen reminder of memory utilization and warning when the limit is being approached? If anyone knows if there is a monitoring utility (apart from task Manager) that can provide this, I would like to know.

At the moment I give myself an hour of use and then close/restart FTM and that seems fine. If you close FTM before you hit the memory limit and re-open, then you shouldnt hit the memory crash problem so often. Also I use the compact database tool a bit more frequently than previously as well as defragmenting/optimizing my hard disk (I use Wise Disk Cleaner), and that certainly helps performance.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Simon Webley 29 May 2013 5:48AM GMT 
KATHYMARIEANN 29 May 2013 3:36PM GMT 
jamclo 29 May 2013 5:01PM GMT 
drklassen67 10 Aug 2013 12:29AM GMT 
tony_knight 10 Aug 2013 9:36AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions