Search for content in message boards

Scotch-Irish on St. Croix

Replies: 38

Re: Scotch-Irish on St. Croix

Posted: 20 May 2002 9:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 May 2002 8:57AM GMT
Dear Norma,

I've read the messages between you and Dan. I've posted messages in several boards in search of my grandfather, James William Smith. I visited the Cavan Research Centre web site and saw the name "Smith" listed as a surname in Cavan County. I always felt that my grandfather came from that area as he was related to the Latimer family. The Latimer family has a building at St. Paul's Episcopal Church named in their memory and from what I understand also came from Ireland.

The names that you have listed in your messages are very familar to my family especially since we attended the same church all our lives. My grandfather was Anglican/Episcopalian and so was every member of the family. My father, Hezekiah E. Smith, served as treasurer of the church for many years. Hezekiah was born on October 5, 1907 and died December 4, 1979. He is interned in the St. Paul's Anglican/Episcopal church yard right in front of the altar. I visited the grave site twice on my trip home recently....April 24th-May 14th. My father had two sisters, Ethanie Smith Francis (deceased) and Alice Smith Nielsen (now 81 years old). I sat with my Aunt Alice, along with Aunt Ethanie's daughter Aracelis, in the same church on Mother's Day (May 12th). I've always been told that my grandfather was from Ireland. His whole life is such a mystery to the family. I'm very curious to find out more about him and his life and so are other family members.

It is also believed that he owned Estate Whim and Mr. Erik Lawaetz wrote briefly about it in his book. The government of the Virgin Islands owns it today and the Whim Greathouse is a tourist attraction. Aracelis and I took a tour of the facility on May 13th including the slave quarters. We visited the museum but were unable to do any research because The St. Croix Landmark Society Library was close on that day.

I've posted messages and received replies but no real leads have come up. I know that someone out there knows something about my grandfather....his history. My family needs to know it too.

Also, the family is aware that he eventually left for Canada, died and was buried there. Although, there are no records to verify this word of mouth about it still stands today.

If you have any information about him, I ask that you share it with his family...who's desperate to know more about him.

Thanks for your help and I appreciate your very detailed information about the cemeteries in Christiansted and Frederiksted.

P. S. My sister and I attended the St. John's Episcopal Church School in Christiansted on scholarships in the middle school years.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
LSmithRabsatt 20 May 2002 3:27PM GMT 
NormaMeier42 20 May 2002 11:49PM GMT 
LSmithRabsatt 21 May 2002 2:17AM GMT 
Marilynn320 24 Sep 2007 10:12PM GMT 
Marilynn320 24 Sep 2007 10:13PM GMT 
LSmithRabsatt 27 Sep 2007 12:29AM GMT 
Marilynn320 27 Sep 2007 9:22AM GMT 
LSmithRabsatt 27 Sep 2007 11:43AM GMT 
LSmithRabsatt 28 Sep 2007 1:34PM GMT 
Marilynn320 28 Sep 2007 5:55PM GMT 
per page