Search for content in message boards

Carrolls of Cork

Replies: 51

Re: Carrolls of Cork

Posted: 19 Feb 2011 7:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Carroll/Rosley
Thank you Linda.

I have two of the brothers in the 1860 census in MA. Going by that census, Timothy would have be more about 1825 and Daniel about 1840. I couldn't find Michael in that census. I don't know if he hadn't come to Boston yet, of if he was here and just not enumerated. There is a possibility that they have two different mothers, but Timothy was also married twice and stated that Ann was his mother on one marriage and Catherine on another. Since my Michael married, had two children and died in the 1860s, he doesn't appear in any US census. Timothy and Daniel were both in the 1870 and 1880 census near each other as well as very near Michael's widow. They lived and worked here in Boston and I followed all three of the families right down to their present day descendants, right here in Boston.
There was also a John and a James who were godfathers so several of the Daniel/Timothy/Michael children. There is no record of them anywhere in MA after the late 1870s. I think they went to CA.

The brothers father was Daniel and their mother was Ann/Catherine Rossley. I don't think that they family whose mother's maiden name was Sweeney is the same family. There is a naturalization record for Timothy and Daniel and the came through Boston and NY, so the Canada family appears unlikely. All of the records (births of the children, marriages, naturalizations and deaths) have Ireland as the place of birth.

Do you have any Rossley connections? I have very little information other than where the name appears in Griffiths.
I have my search in Cork narrowed down that a small area because the name is so uncommon and concentrated in an around the Drinagh townlands. I was at the NLI two years ago and didn't have enough time to search all of the parishes. I did see the name Rosley in birth and marriage registers but I couldn't connect any of them because I have so little to work with. It will be quite a while before I am able to get back there.

Thank you for your ideas. I think my key to finding the origin in Ireland it the name Rossley. I have seen it spelled Rosley, Rosly and Rossely. Please let me know whatever you have on that name. I welcome any thoughts or suggestions.

Thank you,
Maryann Flaherty
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jveal801 29 Aug 2011 10:34PM GMT 
smaryooch 30 Sep 2007 8:04PM GMT 
Mcbeav 1 Oct 2007 3:32AM GMT 
heaven1965 16 Jan 2010 7:58PM GMT 
Maryann Flahe... 16 Jul 2010 2:35PM GMT 
serens00 20 Jan 2011 1:39AM GMT 
Maryann Flahe... 20 Jan 2011 2:10AM GMT 
skeeterscoot 19 Feb 2011 5:04AM GMT 
skeeterscoot 19 Feb 2011 5:33AM GMT 
Maryann Flahe... 19 Feb 2011 2:23PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions