Search for content in message boards

Re: Haskett and Finucane of Co. Clare

Replies: 36

Re: Haskett and Finucane of Co. Clare

Posted: 26 Sep 2013 6:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Sep 2013 1:56PM GMT
I am Margaret Mary Valenti (known as Peggy). My grandfather was George Haskett Jr. Born in 1864. He lived in Brooklyn. My mother was Margaret Josephine Veronica Haskett Valenti born in 1917. I saw your postings. Just wanted to give you some update. After my grandmother died in 1922, Ellen McGrath Haskett, the children were so young 9, 7, 5, and 3, my grandfather put them in a catholic homes since he had to work and there was no one to care for them. The first was Harrison Place in Brooklyn. When they got older, they were separated into two homes on Long Island. The boys went to Farmingdale and the Girls went to Melville. They were also Catholic homes. My grandfather never lost touch with them. He would visit on Sundays. First he would pick up the boys and bring them to where the girls were. So even though they could not all live together, he did his best to make sure they knew one another. By the time of his death in 1934, his son George I was on his own and Mary entered the convent. My mother who was only 17 was back in Harrison Place in Brooklyn working. Her brother David was still in Nazareth Trade School in Farmingdale as he was only 15. David and Mary stayed on Long Island. My mother moved to Brooklyn and later met my father who had a house in Ossining, NY. She moved there after my parents were married.

I have a some old pictures of the children when they were young. I will try to scan and post.

I have a copy of a letter from my uncle David Haskett writing to my aunt and mother from the Pacific during WWII. He mentioned that his baptismal name was Joseph and his confirmation name was George (like his father).
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
margyvalenti2... 27 Sep 2013 12:00AM GMT 
David Haskett 18 Mar 2014 4:33PM GMT 
margyvalenti2... 21 Mar 2014 8:20PM GMT 
margyvalenti2... 21 Mar 2014 9:19PM GMT 
KWenick1 28 Sep 2012 4:23PM GMT 
KWenick1 28 Sep 2012 6:13PM GMT 
David Haskett 28 Sep 2012 8:34PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions