Search for content in message boards

Help me with German Census record, please!

Replies: 46

Re: Help me with German Census record, please!

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 12:08AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Jan 2013 12:52AM GMT
Surnames: Schnoor, Johannsen
I wish I knew German. My paternal grandmother spoke Low German and my dad learned German in the Navy. He could understand my grandma when she spoke, but she couldn't understand him. I have ancestors on both sides of my family from what is now the Schleswig-Holstein area of Germany. I have made a Google map to keep track of where certain people were from, if I can find the actual village in the records. Leah, the Germans liked to give their children several "Christian" names and they were usually named after relatives, most often grandparents, so it was common for them to have several first names and to sometimes go by an abbreviation of one of the names or a different name entirely. Also, if a couple had a child who died as a baby or young child, they would name the next child born of that gender after the deceased child as tribute, so the naming is all very confusing. If you can find immigration records from the United States or wherever he emmigrated to, you should be able to find out what name he was using. I didn't even see a first name on the last link you provided.
Also I see that someone mentioned a woman with the last name of "Schnor". My great-great-great Grandmother was Antje Magdelena "Caroline" Schoor born in 1840 supposedly in Hamburg. I am not sure if that is where she was actually born, or just where her family emmigrated from. Her father was Heinrich "Henry" Schnoor born in Kuden, S-H, Germany 9/22/1806, died Jackson County, Iowa 9/26/1872. Her mother was Catherina "Trinke" Johannsen B. 4/12/1809 in S-H, Germany, D. 3/21/1889 in Dallas County, IA. I was wondering if the Schnor mentioned could possibly be a Schnoor?

Leah
I did find what looks to be a genealogy book from 1882 and mentions your ancestor's name, on Ancesty.com World edition. Of course it is in German, but maybe if you type the words into Google Translate you can come up with the meaning?

Good luck,
Melissa
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
tspademan 5 Sep 2012 8:20PM GMT 
scrapbooker22... 5 Sep 2012 10:57PM GMT 
scrapbooker22... 5 Sep 2012 11:01PM GMT 
tspademan 5 Sep 2012 11:08PM GMT 
scrapbooker22... 5 Sep 2012 11:45PM GMT 
tspademan 6 Sep 2012 12:30AM GMT 
scrapbooker22... 6 Sep 2012 12:57AM GMT 
tspademan 6 Sep 2012 1:26AM GMT 
scrapbooker22... 6 Sep 2012 4:47PM GMT 
dedliv 12 Jan 2013 7:08AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions