Search for content in message boards

Kenosha Volunteer researcher

Replies: 65

Re: Kenosha Volunteer researcher

Posted: 2 Sep 2010 9:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
You did it again, John…Juliana’s obituary will be very valuable in figuring out the connection to my family, and I’m certain there is one. And, yes, Don is my brother, and 11 years older than I am. My parents moved to South Bend in 1940, when Don was 7, and I was born four years later. Also, If you like car ads, you probably enjoyed the clip that said my Uncle Joe bought a new car! Must have been a light news day! 

Actually, I attended Berryville School in the 2nd grade. My grandparents, John and Susanna Asboth lived just south of the School a few blocks, between 7th and 8th Avenues in a big, brick Dutch Colonial house that my grandfather built. We used to go to Mid-City outdoor occasionally…but never in the trunk! :-) When my cousin and I walked home from school, sometimes we would sit on the bench beneath the theatre sign on Sheridan Road…don’t ask me why because it was such a short walk, surely we weren’t tired. I suppose, as kids will be kids, we sat down because it was there to be sat upon! Ironically, it was at or near the corner by the school where my cousin, Dick, was killed by the drunk driver.

Anna Asboth could have been my mother’s sister. She passed away when she was quite young, and if the Anna of the perfect attendance was my mother’s sister, that would have made her 10 in 1917, and perhaps not too long before she passed. I recently prepared the necessary forms for birth, death and marriage records from Friedens Lutheran Church in Kenosha, where the Asboth’s were life-long members, in hopes of resolving some of those dates.

I grew up and went to school in Racine, first at Burbank School (you may have seen articles about the school reunion we had in May of this year in the Journal Times), Trinity Lutheran School on Geneva St., Washington Jr. High, and finally, Horlick High School, graduating in 1961. An interesting school note is that my 2nd grade teacher at Berryville School, also taught, and was principal at Burbank School when I was there. If you have spent your most of your life in Racine, it’s not unlikely that we may know people in common.

Thanks so much for the link to the newspaper archive…I haven’t had much luck, actually no luck, on direct newspaper links on the internet, and maybe I can finally find my father’s obit. I have no idea of the date he died, nor where he is buried…someplace in East Chicago, IN. If the Greendale library doesn’t subscribe, I’m sure the Milwaukee library does.

Are you working on a family tree, or do you just like to do research?

Sue
P.S. What does “SISU” stand for?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ccwalkeruwp 9 Jul 2010 7:41PM GMT 
Hbasel44 11 Jul 2010 10:16PM GMT 
family4moore 12 Jul 2010 3:04PM GMT 
family4moore 19 Aug 2010 3:04PM GMT 
Julian Hoppe 16 Jul 2010 9:14PM GMT 
genroku 30 Aug 2010 3:58PM GMT 
Doornumber1 1 Sep 2010 4:01AM GMT 
genroku 2 Sep 2010 1:11AM GMT 
Doornumber1 2 Sep 2010 5:09AM GMT 
genroku 3 Sep 2010 3:23AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions