Search for content in message boards

Private Trees and DNA Contacts

Replies: 300

Re: Private Trees and DNA Contacts

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 8:08AM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm trying to understand private tree logic.

What are these files I keep seeing referred to as "private". I'm not asking for specifics, just the types of files being referenced?

"Other people think Ancestry is profiting dearly from our research ..."

Unfortunately that ship sailed a while back. I doubt making all the private trees on Ancestry public would add up to a noticable difference to their bottom line.

My guess is Ancestry makes a lot more off of the "copy/paste" genealogists than they do off of those doing their own research and since they (the C/P folks) seem to be more interested in names than citations they already have access to everything they need.

"After all, you are probably only working on one person at a time. If you find a promising link and it's a private tree, how hard is it to send a note, like this one, when you may just end up with a new branch on your tree that is very important?"

Sorry this statement is totally incorrect.

When I look at a DNA match that has a private tree all I see is the user ID of the match and the total number of people in their tree. That and a large button that takes me to the message function so I can ask to see their tree.

Until the access is granted I have no way to even guess what information our trees may share.

Dennis

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
memorykeeper0... 23 Nov 2012 7:45PM GMT 
dorava 4 Mar 2013 6:57AM GMT 
Pattypye 22 Nov 2012 4:52PM GMT 
Nachalink123 22 Nov 2012 7:41PM GMT 
memorykeeper0... 23 Nov 2012 8:56AM GMT 
LeeHigdonNewe... 23 Nov 2012 11:46AM GMT 
Joanne Engers... 23 Nov 2012 2:30PM GMT 
DPotts57 23 Nov 2012 3:08PM GMT 
Pattypye 23 Nov 2012 7:32PM GMT 
memorykeeper0... 24 Nov 2012 11:21PM GMT