Search for content in message boards

Where might the Finnish/Volga-Ural DNA portion come from?

Replies: 134

Re: Where might the Finnish/Volga-Ural DNA portion come from?

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 11:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Jan 2013 11:52AM GMT
If your asking me and responding to my post several of us have DNA tested at other companies. Family Tree DNA and 23andme gives raw data. We know what it's used for. Since you stated you tested Y-DNA at family tree DNA you should go post and read the FTDNA forum, there are a lot more experts in that forum that can explain it to you in fuller detail.

In general people put too much emphasis on % tests that will not help find your ancestors or break down walls. autosomal tests (relative matches)can go to any ancestor on any part of your tree where Y and MT-DNA are one direct line ancestor and much better for breaking down possible walls. It is advised to use combinations of autosomal along with Y and MT-DNA on direct lines. You also do not inherit autosomal DNA as in 50 % of this ancestor or 25% of this ancestor ect. My 1/2 sister and I have some same relative matches and some different inherited from our father. He passed down some same DNA to us and some different.

Since I have some Mexico and you claim New Mexico researching Spanish records is a lot different than researching the US. My ancestors all had forced baptism. They are all listed Yndios on baptisms and marriages. matches up to Y and MT-DNA. The priests will give your ancestors 3-4 different names and your ancestors will drop some of those names, start using their middle names. You need to research the Caste System (google casta paintings) This will teach you about social and race class amongst the Spanish. You need to contact the Catholic Churches in your area for starters (I dont know where you are in your genealogy research) . You might also watch the PBS documentary "When Worlds Collide". You can stream it for free on the PBS web. It goes into Mex/Spanish history, how to trace your ancestors ect. Have you contacted the Mexico project at FTDNA? They have a huge project and can help you
http://garyfelix.tripod.com/index63.htm
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
prestonmcleec... 16 Dec 2012 3:40PM GMT 
Melv25 16 Dec 2012 4:40PM GMT 
Melv25 16 Dec 2012 2:29PM GMT 
AttorneyDavid... 20 Jan 2013 6:38AM GMT 
Melv25 20 Jan 2013 6:44PM GMT 
AttorneyDavid... 20 Jan 2013 7:30PM GMT 
Melv25 20 Jan 2013 9:17PM GMT 
Melv25 20 Jan 2013 7:02PM GMT 
MarshaCrawfor... 12 Nov 2012 11:16PM GMT 
KofJeffersonC... 17 Nov 2012 10:08PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions