Search for content in message boards

Scranton, PA Manleys from Ireland

Replies: 71

Re: Scranton and Philly Manleys related??

Posted: 31 Jul 2012 10:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Manley, Munley, Monley, Munnelly, Mannelly, Monnelly

Hi Manley researchers,

Just when I think I have posted this information EVERYWHERE, I find that there are still many Manleys with Irish roots that are unaware of it. I am posting it once again.

Almost all "Manleys" living in the anthracite coal mining regions of Pennsylvania came from County Mayo Ireland during one of the Irish potato famines. Most came during the middle 1800s. The original surname in County Mayo was Monnelly or Munnelly. Because most Irish immigrants were illiterate in English, the surname became Munley, Manley, Monley, Mannelly, Munnelly, etc. upon emigration to the US or the UK, depending on however the paperwork was originally filled out.

There are also "English Manleys" who emigrated to Maryland, Virginia and North Carolina during and prior to this country's struggle for independence.

The original Manley Y-DNA Surname Project started by Cathy Manley Sockol proved that there were two different origins for the "English Manleys" and the Manleys and Munleys from County Mayo.

There is now also a Munley/Manley Y-DNA Surname Project which focuses on those with County Mayo origins. There is information about that project here:

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Munley/

Y-DNA data from the 20+ Munley/Manley/Munnelly males that have been tested thus far indicates that all Munleys and Manleys with roots in County Mayo are related. There is an ongoing effort to share information about our ancestors and exactly how we are related. Kathy Manley Short's website

http://www.munnellysofcountymayo.com/

has family trees and other genealogy information that can be shared. Kathy also recently organized a Munnelly Reunion in County Mayo this past June that was attended by Manleys, Munleys, and Munnellys from the US, UK, and Ireland.

If you have a Facebook account, there is a group you can request to join called the Munnelly Connection that has 173 members, all with roots in County Mayo.

I would also encourage all straight-line male Manleys/Munleys to be Y-DNA tested by ordering at least the 37-marker test at

http://www.familytreedna.com/group-join.aspx?&group=Munl...

This will help all of us figure out our common ancestors.

I am happy to answer any questions that any of you may have.

Marianne Manley Granoff
Project Administrator
Munley/Manley Surname Project

Albuquerque, NM
granoff@zianet.com

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
p_manley 14 Jan 2002 4:03AM GMT 
Ann Dea Hogan 14 Jan 2002 4:12AM GMT 
patty manley murnin 16 Aug 2002 6:29AM GMT 
xohcrossmyhea... 27 Feb 2009 4:47AM GMT 
peter whitehe... 27 Feb 2009 6:32PM GMT 
ktate581 21 Apr 2012 1:06PM GMT