Like births, marriages, and deaths, early divorce information is randomly reported in the local newspapers; there is no single comprehensive source for divorce research in Milwaukee collections.
For historic information it's still necessary to scan through the different Court indeces archived at the Milwaukee County Historical Society to find those files, but the time can be well worth it.
Random reporting in the local German papers concerning divorces can include a marriage date and place (but not always a maiden name):
- Wilhelm C. Luffmann and Ellen A. Luffmann were married in Calcutta, India in 1869 (they had a daughter).
- Frank Igler and Marie Igler were married in Neugehein, Austria, and had young teenage sons. Frank was unfaithful and connected with the criminal Michael Wild in 1892.
- Xaver Deser & Anna Deser were married in 1883 in Schwambach, Germany.
- Otto Dickow & Mathilde Dickow were married in Pyritz, Prussia.
- Joseph Fischer & Anna Fischer were married in Florensdorf, Austria.
- Steve Fuzo & Therese Fuzo were married in Vienna in 1898.
- James H. Pockman & Mary Pockman were married in Birmingham, England in 1875.
- Andrew Schano & Eva Schano were married in Pittsburg, 1883.
- August Scherr & Alvine Scherr were married in Greifenburg, Pommern.
- Emil Sonntag & Minna Sonntag were married in Berlin in 1901.
- John Urban & Maria Urban were married in Berlin in 1866.
"Milwaukee's German Newspapers; an index of death notices and related items" (1844-1950).firstname.lastname@example.org
, originator/compiler/editor, Milwaukee Wis.