Search for content in message boards

Revolutionary War Soldiers buried at Fishkill, NY

Replies: 0

Revolutionary War Soldiers buried at Fishkill, NY

Posted: 17 Dec 2012 9:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Please check out this article.

http://online.wsj.com/article/APa2bc7c483b7e42f4b11d3840b80f...

If anyone wants to see what soldiers we have determined are buried at the Fishkill Supply Depot, please check the Tribute Wall on our website.

http://www.fishkillsupplydepot.org/

I can only hope that before I die all of the men's names will be added to the Tribute Wall. Anyone who has an ancestor who "died Fishkill" PLEASE contact me.

If anyone would like to help me on, what I found out reading the article, is a unique research project. I can use help going through muster rolls and then looking at service records and pension files, family histories, military journal and soldier's diaries, ANYTHING I can get my hands on looking for clues. I then verify and verify again to make sure they are there dead and buried in Fishkill.

I cannot tell you how satisfying it is to find these poor souls who have laid so long in unmarked graves, their descendants unaware of their resting place. To now record whatever bits of their life can be found. Sad is the 19 year old, a new young soldier dying, no family can be found, no one to mourn for them but us, now in the 21st century.

December 15th, 2012 we held our 2nd Wreaths Across America Ceremony. Last year we had 7 wreaths, one for each grave that had been excavated and studied professionally, and about 30 people came. This year we were able to lay enough wreaths to honor all those men who have been identified and over 100 people took part in the ceremony.

We are hoping, that by putting names and stories to as many of our early Patriots, it will raise awareness and help us gain ownership of the property. To stop it from becoming another dead shopping center, as there is across the street on a good portion of the Depot's land.

The Depot's story has never been told or researched in depth. The time to do it is now. Doctors at the hospital kept records of every man they treated, where are those records now??? They need to be located around the country in repositories. If they are found, they should list each man who died. When a man died the doctor reported it to the Quartmaster who, if the wife was nearby, received his belongings. Otherwise, the Quartermaster was to send the belongings to the family or dispose of them. Where are those reports? Are they buried somewhere on fold3? Were theybburned in the Washington DC or Albany fires?

We are also looking to reconstruct a complete picture of the workings of the Depot, every department, every artificers job, life at the Depot, the movement of men, everything.

This was the supplier to the Northern Army, most men New England were sent to Fishkill for deployment.

When Rochemabeau's Army marched to Virginia, Fishkill supplied the Army. We know bread was baked in the many huge ovens at Fishkill to be shipped to the French Army. When we were able to show this proof to the W3R (Washington Rochambeau Revolutionary Route) people and the National Park Service they have decided to put a W3R signage at the Van Wyck Homestead to make us part of the W3R trail.

I used to joke that I think every important person during the war effort spent time or passed through Fishkill except for Ben Franklin, but I do believe my research co-chair has traced Franklin's travels and she feels he did go through Fishkill!

There is great satisfaction in doing this research and I would love to share that level of satisfaction with as many people as would like to help! Many hands will make the work go faster. Our goal is to find the first 300 names, and then see how many more we can find.

If you have subscription to fold3 and are willing to go through either a full state's muster rolls, or 1 regiment at a time, let me know I can tell you what needs to be done.

Never in my life I would have dreamed something like this would be come such a focus in my life, but the more I learn, the more important it is that this untold part of the history of our struggling country needs to be told.

The lost souls of the Depot need to be honored. They are patiently waiting for us to find them.

Check us out on Facebook or our website...please!

Judy Wolf
Secretary Friends of the Fishkill Supply Depot
Research co-chair
Wreaths Across America Location Leader
wolf6pack@aol.com

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions