Search for content in message boards

Pension Pages Info

Replies: 6

Re: Pension Pages Info

Posted: 22 Feb 2011 10:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Feb 2011 10:11PM GMT
I pulled out the memoirs and now that I've refreshed myself with them my Archibald and your's don't add up. Here's what it says about my Archibald though and a bit of other info. This was written by my Great Great Grandfather George Alexander Farr, who was born in 1842 in New York:

"I have heard that the now rather numerous Farr Family has descended from two brothers who came to the Massachusetts colony in the seventeenth century from the border of Wales, but this is only tradition and not very reliable at that. All that I have heard came from my father many years ago, and his knowledge was vague and indefinite. He had only a shadowy rememberence of seeing his father. My Grandfather's name was Archibald Farr, a young physician who removed from Vermont to Monroe County, New York shortly after 1800. There he married Lucinda Davis, the daughter of a wealthy Quaker named Ezra Davis. I think the descendents of the Davis family still reside near Honeoye Falls where my father was born. My Grandfather entered the army as a surgeon in the War of 1812 and was captured at Queenstown with the small detachment that crossed the Niagra from Lewistown. It is to the eternal disgrace of Americans that some thousands of militia at Lewiston refused to cross the river and left their comrades unsupported. I have no further definite knowledge of my Grandfather. It appears that after the war he departed to the west, then a vast wilderness, with the ostensible purpose of purchasing lands, and was never heard from afterwards. There were rumors of his last being seen entering the Black Swamp, so called, in Ohio, but no further trace of him was ever found....There were born of the union of my Grandfather and Grandmother two children, Laura, I think in November 1808 and my father (Sylvester Farr) born October 13, 1809...my Grandmother died at the age of about 35, in 1818, and left my father and his sister orphaned, and they lived with their Grandfather Davis"

That's pretty much it on any Archibald connection. If you have any information I would be grateful to hear it. Thanks.

It looks like Spafford and Honeoye Falls are about 80 miles apart so it's interesting. I can't imagine there would be 2 Archibald Farrs that are doctors in the same general area though.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
markrf1 3 May 2010 8:57PM GMT 
frostfreedet 4 May 2010 10:38PM GMT 
cnlgreer1 22 Feb 2011 6:12PM GMT 
markrf1 22 Feb 2011 11:11PM GMT 
cnlgreer1 23 Feb 2011 1:29AM GMT 
markrf1 23 Feb 2011 2:08AM GMT 
cnlgreer1 23 Feb 2011 5:06AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions