Search for content in message boards

Need help locating a record at the PA Archives

Replies: 3

Need help locating a record at the PA Archives

Posted: 4 Dec 2011 4:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lindsay, Lindsey
Hi all,

A fellow researcher will be making a trip to the PA Archives this summer to try to help me locate a record. I have already tried (unsuccessfully) to locate the record by contacting the Archives directly (they sent me back my check) and by hiring a local researcher (he was told by an archivist that the record was not to be found)who charged me five dollars for his failed attempt.

I have a record from the published Pennsylvania Archives that shows that my ancestor, David Lindsay, signed his name to receive depreciation pay for service he had performed in Westmoreland County in 1782. The researcher whom I hired found the original certificate glued into a book, but it did not have a signature on it.

The record that shows that David Lindsay signed his name to receive his pay appeared in the PA Archives Series VI, Volume 2. I know that the author must have been looking at an original, handwritten record to have made the transcription. The (c) on the record was stated in the introduction to mean that the record was transcribed from muster rolls by the author.

From the transcribed record, which I will attach, it appears that David Lindsay signed his name to receive depreciation pay for service that he had performed in 1782. His certificate was issued in 1785.

Does anyone have experience in locating these types of records? Did soldiers sign to receive pay for the depreciation certificates?

I have experience in South Carolina records, but not in Pennsylvania. I cannot figure out what record group I should suggest as a source of the record, but I know that it must exist! I would like my research friend to have a focused place to search when he goes to the Archives to try to retrieve the record I am seeking.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Susan Grabek
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Susan Grabek 4 Dec 2011 11:57PM GMT 
frostfreedet 7 Dec 2011 9:09PM GMT 
Susan Grabek 7 Dec 2011 9:42PM GMT 
Susan Grabek 1 Feb 2012 1:40PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions