Search for content in message boards

Jonathan Pugh, Cumru + 5th PA Battalion

Replies: 0

Jonathan Pugh, Cumru + 5th PA Battalion

Posted: 29 Jun 2012 12:20AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: PUGH, PEUGH, MAGAW, NICE, ATLEE
I'm looking for information on Jonathan Pugh listed as captured at the Battle of Ft Washington November 16, 1776. He was part of Col Robert Magaw's 5th PA Battalion. Vol 2 of the PA archives lists him and many others from the unit taken prisoner at the battle. Many are listed as having died in prison, as well as many being listed as being paroled in December of that year.

A John Pugh is listed as a private in Captain John Nice's Company of Col Samuel J Atlee PA Musketry Battalion. This appears to be after the Battle of Long Island, in which many prisoners were also captured. In a September muster roll of the Company "lying in Camp of New York Island near Kings Bridge for the month of September" he is listed as being Absent without Leave as was a majority of the rest of the company (24 privates, a sgt, 2 corporals and a drum/fife...1sgt and 2 privates were left fit for duty). It's unclear if this is the same soldier. Though the proximately of the two battles during the campaign in New York are promising.

I think he may be the son John Pugh and Unknown Evans of Cumru.

Estimates are the 2800 men were taken prisoner at the battle and as few as 800 may have survived the horrible conditions of the English prisoner barges....so he very well may have perished. But given that his record does not show an outcome, I am hoping he may have survived. It should be noted that another Jonathan Pugh (from Chester, enlisted as a sgt in the 4th PA and rose to Captain Lt in the invalid corp) may easily be confused for this Private Pugh in the 5th (I did for several months).

Any information you might have to share would be GREATLY appreciated

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions